This Motorized bike thing is the cats pajamas

GoldenMotor.com

10sec

Aug 6, 2013
Hello all, I just discovered this amazing world of Motorized bikes. I got my bike from a local 1/2 way put together and already busted up. He broke the front engine mount ear off. I got it for a steal so I figured, what the ****. Took her home and really had to dig into my stash of "ghetto" fixes. Then my first fix decided not to be a fix (I really did that temporarily, but pushed my luck too far. That ended up snapping off mounting tabs and breaking the clutch cover basically in half. So, again I tapped into that overused portion of my brain and came up with another couple of fixes, which at this point, have been reliable for about 200miles.

Here's a couple shots, don't laugh!

Here's the clutch cover, as you can see that's not how it's supposed to look... That is an old hinge I never used, I cut that off and drilled a hole. Got me some 10/32 threaded rod, bent it around the back, and blamo, it works... for now...

Due to the broken front mount, I needed to come up with something to hold the motor down and solid to the frame. Took one side of a u-bolt I had laying around, some 4-40 threaded rod, some welder, and a lot of booze, I came up with this beauty.

Here's a shot of the busted mount. All my problems have been all because of this thing.

All in all I have been stung by the bug. I am in the process of getting a new more modern frame (this frame is an OLD steel huffy style) and starting from scratch with a new kit. As I keep saving money not filling my cars up with gas I plan on upgrading to cooler things as time goes on. Especially that shift kit they make, that is really neat.

Thanks for having me, I plan to make full use of this forum. I've already learned numerous tips just flipping through random threads.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Don't worry; I won't laugh at your fixes. And I don't think many people here will, either.

That's admirable stuff. We're tinkerers at heart here. And when we have troubles like yours, we're gonna come up with similar stuff.

Nice job.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I LOVE the fixes! Who cares if it's ugly? It WORKS!
Besides, who could see it anyway as you RIDE past....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's an old race car maxim that says, "they'll never see it from the grandstands".
That applies to motorbikes too. Ride past them at 25mph and they'll never see those 'repairs'. Whatever gets you down the road, son.
Enjoy, have fun but ride safe. And welcome to the forum.

Tom

10sec

Aug 6, 2013
Thanks guys! This forum seems like the perfect place for me. I've had this issue with the pull side of the chain (I guess I could say the top) which will vibrate like crazy when I approach the 3/4-full speed of the bike. Sometimes I have to hop on this road for a brief mile or so and the speed limit is 45 so I like to go as fast as I can, but when the chain starts to vibrate it not only holds the bike up, but it also shakes the crap out of the bike. Anyone have an idea on a way to fix that? I used the tensioner to tighten the chain as much as i possibly could, which did let me get a little more speed before it happens, but it still happens.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure your engine is mounted solidly to the frame with absolutely no movement in any axis. Your chain/sprocket alignment is also critical and if off can cause the chain to run rough. A chain that is too tight or too loose will also contribute to your problem. 1/2" to 3/4" of slack is generally the recommended tension.

You might also want to remove the chain and inspect it carefully for any twists or kinks or binding rollers or side plates. Some kit chains are notorious for these faults and will never run true or smooth over the sprockets. Sprocket teeth can also be rough which doesn't allow them to smoothly engage the chain. Lubrication is also important. A dry chain won't run smooth. Lots of options there as far as chain lubricants.

Good luck. Let us know if any of our suggestions work for you.

Tom

Last edited:

10sec

Aug 6, 2013
Thanks a lot! I actually know for a fact there's a little play between the motor and the frame. It's not as tight as it could be. I'll try that first and continue down your list of suggestions.