Taco Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by The 26incher, Mar 17, 2010.

1. The 26incher

The 26incher New Member

Old steel wheels and MB's don't really work too good. I didn't try to do this, I just hit the brakes a little too hard going around a corner. I guess my fat @$$ needs to go on a diet!

Attached Files:

2. george_n_texas

george_n_texas New Member

Wow is that steel or aluminum? Are you ok? I thought steel was stronger than anything else.

3. The 26incher

The 26incher New Member

Steel single wall rim circa 1970! I think my wife could bend one of these. I'm ok, thanks for asking just bent the crap out of the wheel...

4. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

You need some old skool Z wheels!!! They always bounced back from a good thrashing!! (^)

5. greasemonkey

greasemonkey New Member

Ya know i had an ex that worked kind of the same way.laff

6. exavid

exavid New Member

I bought an old cheapo mountain bike a month or so ago that had a rear wheel that was wowed at least that badly, it wouldn't turn through the chainstays. I loosened up the spokes and bent the rim somewhat back to shape pressing it down over a 4X4 chunk laying on the ground. After much flexing and retruing the wheel by snugging up the spokes I got it trued up pretty well. Less than a 1/16" of an inch wobble or out of round. I could have worked that last bit out but since I was giving the bike to a kid who wasn't going to put a motor on it decided it was good enough. It did take me a couple hours fiddling with the thing, probably could have bought an old bike for the wheels but it was a bit of a challenge and I had to see if I could get it straightened out.

7. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Yeah those type are pretty weak, but it could be fixed. It almost looks like the spokes were too tight by the way the holes look. I could be wrong though.

8. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

I broke my tail bone when my wheel on the J-Dog did that too me.:oops:

Attached Files:

9. greasemonkey

greasemonkey New Member

My rear rim has a little sway to it. I'm just holding off for a while. I'm gonna cut up the frame and 3 wheel it anyway.
    My chain roller pulled in and broke 8 spokes once. It sucked

BUT THATS BIKING

10. chrisme

chrisme New Member

I just put on a straight wheel after rebuilding and greasing the wheel bearings.
    It had 10 bent spokes, 4 completely missing, and 5 broken.... I'll have to take a pic tomorrow. Surprisingly it wasn't to badly bent up. Complete accident waiting to happen though!

11. exavid

exavid New Member

I was lucky when the chain locked up my rear wheel, there was enough water and grit on the road that the tire slid easily without damaging the spokes or rim, just like suddenly locking the rear brake. You can bet I check the chain each time I take the bike out for a ride.usflg

12. Creative Engineering

Make sure that the wheel is laced right guys! That's what causes this...I did it wrong, and learned.laff

Jim

13. exavid

exavid New Member

I see you went to the same school that I did Jim!