T bracket or U bracket

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by nobigdeal, Jun 23, 2012.

1. nobigdeal

nobigdeal New Member

Going to get a 66/80cc Mega Motors Silver Bicycle Engine Kit- 2 Stroke from BB. Thinnking about getting a schwinn cranbrook from walmart to put it on.

Questions:
    No hand brakes-Is that a problem? I dont mind a peddal brake.
    Do I want the universal t bracket or do I need to get the U bracket?
    Is there a clutch?
    The ones I have ridden have not had a clutch.
    Any extra stuff I should order now in case I brake something? Dont need or want any extra power boost or anything like that.

NBD

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman New Member

Not sure about the engine mount, but DON'T drill holes in the frame. These kits can come with a centrifugal clutch (usually extra) and a pad clutch (needs a clutch handle). Stock will be a pad clutch.

3. Mr. Minecraft

Mr. Minecraft Visionary

The best thing to do is use a u bracket. If the stock mount doesnt fit, and you want to do it right, buy the universal adapter from Piratecycles. On the other hand, i drilled my frame and put the T mount in it. I didnt use the stock bolts though, but i never had a problem.

4. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I like a lot of members installed my engine before I found this forum, the instructions or destruction's which ever that came with my kit said to drill through the frame. I haven't had any problems either but if I had a do over I would use a u-mount. You need to add some kind of brakes to assist the coaster, if your chain on the pedal comes off you have no brakes. I have side pull brakes from ebay on both of my bikes at 15$ each, comes with lever and cable. Look for sets that are for bmx bikes and have a 96mm reach, these work with 2.125 tires.

#4 Greg58, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  5. Mr. Minecraft

Mr. Minecraft Visionary

+1 I did the exact same thing. Works great!

6. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

A lot of the motors these days come with a LARGE mouthed engine mount- I would start there- I don't think there's a lot of difference in the China Girls beyond that-

Maybe you should inquire the vendor about the motor mounts they are selling. Boygofast on ebay has the larger mounts-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Motori...789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c653e77fd
    I just got a chrome motor from him that has the new mount- It should make installation a breeze- I used to use longer bolts and bend them slightly around the tubes-

On some longer frames, a u-bolt may actually work better, because it keeps the motor at a better angle- you want the carburetor level- I use a straight, short billet intake, so the motor needs to be upright. On the Cranbrook (a Huffy- not Schwinn) probably not, but something like a Kalana Cruiser

I'm not sure if anyone has a spacer adapter to go the other way for older skinny tubes, but we need one!

#6 Nashville Kat, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012