Steam power

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by oylavabeer, May 7, 2009.

1. oylavabeer

oylavabeer New Member

Surely there is a small steam engine I can addapt to my mb . Has any one Done this, interested in your experiance or oppinions. ( Maybee Ill add a jet engine. LOL )

2. huckersteve

huckersteve New Member

:crash:

lolz

Jets have been done. You might have to make your own Steam engine though..

#2 huckersteve, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  3. Finfan

Finfan New Member

Stoking the boiler while riding might be an issue. Not to mention the problems involved in hauling a trailer full of coal!

laff

4. robin

robin Member

HERE IT IS !! the Hudspith steam bicycle from the moped archives
    .shft. If you want attention get one of these---great for B.C. Canada travel lots of wood and lots of water !!

Attached Files:

#4 robin, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

My question is why would a guy with this much mechanical ability design and build a steam powered bicycle...then mount it on the front wheel? I'll bet the weight involved her would make that thing a bear top ride. At least you wouldn't need a horn; you could have a whistle...cool.
    Tom

6. eDJ

eDJ New Member

If you go look in the back of some of the old Mechanics Illustrated magazines they used
    to have plans to convert a Ford auto Air Conditioner compressor to a steam engine.
    there were ad's there too for a magazine titled "Live Steam" where steam enthusiast
    would design and build all kinds of steam propelled stuff.

Not all steam requires wood or coal or bunker oil nor does it use water.

The inventor "Bill Lear" think 8 track tapes & Lear Jet aircraft tried to pioneer "Flash
    Steam" which could be heated with a cylinder of propane gas in seconds. Instead
    of water he used a pattened formula of chemicals he dubbed "Learium". He build a
    mini bike, a larger car, and a city bus as platforms to demonstrait his system with.
    Bill Lear died a few years ago now but the internet holds lots of articles and details
    of his project research. I think he originally just heated Freon gas, but the Learium
    was the TRICK as within 30 or seconds of igniting the burner you were ready to roll
    with a full head of "Flash Steam". (the system was a closed loop where nothing
    escaped into the air to polute it)