Sprocket question.

GoldenMotor.com

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
Whats the tooth count on the sprocket that comes with the kit.
I know this might have been asked elsewhere but whats the recommended sprocket for speed and torque.

I like the one that came with the kit but it is making the engine top off at 25mph which probably is the 'cause of a lot of vibration.

Thanks
JD

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
aside from counting em you can't be sure since not all kits are exactly the same, but mine was a 44tooth. from what iv'e read 40 tooth is the best for a mix of speed+hill climbing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make a mark aligned with one tooth on the sprocket then rotate your rear wheel, counting the teeth until you came back to the mark you made.
As was said by matthurd, the standard kit supplied sprockets are usually somewhere in the 44 to 48T. Remember; the smaller the sprocket, the higher the gear. Too small and your acceleration will suffer, the larger the sprocket, the lower the gear. Too big and your top end will speed will go down. The 40/41T is a good all round gear for most riders.
Tom

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Don't forget to figure in your weight when thinking about sprocket sizes. 40/41t maybe good for most riders, but if you are heavy sasquatch such as myself, you may find 48/50t to be a better all around fit. The standard 44t performed well for me, but I did change to a 50t for hills, my top end did not suffer noticeably, but my bottom end was much stronger.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I'm only a buck and a half, I feel like the bike's gonna pull a wheelie when I do a WOT from 10mph (it doesn't though). I like more top end speed without stressing the motor at high RPM.

What do you guys think of the hybriped, think its worth the $50?

Off to the bike to start counting.

Thanks for replies

JD
usflg

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I'm just trying to find a better solution than drilling my sprocket new holes when I switch them. The flange on my hub is about 69mm and the holes on the sprocket doesn't clear it, so I had to drill new holes to clear the flange and bolt my sprocket on. I didn't want to spend $60 on a sprocket adapter or new wheels.
I have read many threads about sprocket but haven't really found one thats best suits me. I have no access to any tools to fabricate my own.

Thanks for the input.

JD

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
honestly i know the sprocket adapters do seem to cost a bit, but they're worth every penny and then some. not only do they go on easily and as close to perfectly flat as possible but you can slide it in and out to get the alignment just right.

if you're seriously considering that hybriped, spend the extra $10 and get the adapter, and if you have to, take the chain off to get rid of the added resistance. a freewheel rear sprocket is a cool idea i'll admit, but i think the adapters are better suited for our hobby.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have one bike with the straight plug 66cc engine and have a 41T sprocket on this bike.

I also have a bike with the slant head 66cc engine and have a 36T sprocket on it, my slant engine pulls the 36T as good as the straight plug does the 41T and the basic difference in the two engines is that I shaved the head a bit on the slant engine and added one of Manic Mechanics ported intakes, all else is the same.

I weigh 2 bucks and a nickle and they both pull me just fine on the hills in my opinion as long as they are tuned properly, tuning is very important, if the engine is running rich it will not pull hills worth a darn in my experience.

I say the 40/41T is probably best all around for most but with my 36T I can cruise real nice at 32MPH with very little vibration, the 41T bike will only cruise with low vibration @ 25-27MPH above that it is wound up pretty good and gets very uncomfortable in a very short time.

Personally I think if someone made a 38T that would be the most perfect all around tooth count and would probably give a nice comfortable 30MPH cruising speed for most riders and still do plenty good on moderate hills for all accept the Big ole Boys.

If you are 150lbs I say get a 36T make sure your engine is tuned very good with a better than stock exhaust and get one of the manic intakes and be sure you have an NGK B6HS sparkplug instead of the stunk one.... (Stock/Junk)

I plan to go 36T on my other bike as well when I get the manic intake and a better exhaust on it.

Just my opinions....nothing more nothing less......!

Good luck with what ever you deside, Peace

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Give your motor some time to break in homie, it will get faster and smoother as you get more miles on it. Your kit came with a 44t sprocket.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I'll give it more time to break in and go from there, thanks for the advice guys. now I'll look for light for my bike. my bell light doesn't cut it at high speeds and not bright enough. I'm rooting for visibility over looks. I have two light set from magic shine that I have my eye on, It's a little pricey but if it does what it says it does then its worth the $$.

here's the links..tell me what you guys think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...69538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3123wt_1144

here's second one

SSC-P7 1200 Lum LED Bicycle Bike Headlamp torch Charger - eBay (item 270706821702 end time Apr-16-11 00:32:27 PDT)

Thanks
JD

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Careful with LEDs for head lights. LEDs do not light the entire spectrum which is what enable them to have such a low power draw, but this also means that they don't "illuminate" things as well. LEDs are great for being seen, but not the best for seeing, a white LED head light won't give you as much visiblity as a standard bulb. Which is why you may see LED tail lights on cars and trucks, but not LED head lights.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
Thanks for clarifying that, I almost bought that LED head light for $130, still searching for light, I went to my LBS and they recomended Turbocat Lights, anyone have any experience on this lights? Lots of great reviews on this lights and LBS said best thing is that it's made locally here and if there's any problem, repair is around the corner.

Here's their Website

TurboCat Bicycle Lighting Systems

Thanks
JD

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Pinoyxprss

I was thinking of a freewheel rear sprocket too, to eliminate the engine resistance, making it easier to pedal my bike. I got to looked at your idea HybriPed. That's what I was thinking but simpler, maybe just a 1 way sprocket to bolt on the 44t would work. Not sure though.

Maybe some have made this already, searching this site now as I write this down.

So did you solved your problem regarding engine noise you have that you posted in youtube?

Mabuhay!

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines

This is what I was talking about.

This will work right? eliminating the resistance when pedaling?

Now to find the right parts here in manila. I was thinking a Flip-Flop hub to go with this.

Planning to build another bike like this
Assman - Basman clone haha

Only in the Philippines!pec.

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA

This is what I was talking about.

This will work right? eliminating the resistance when pedaling?

Now to find the right parts here in manila. I was thinking a Flip-Flop hub to go with this.

Planning to build another bike like this
Assman - Basman clone haha

Only in the Philippines!pec.
That looks great, let me know how it turns out, I'm still deciding on the sprocket so I just installed the one that came with the kit.

Mabuhay!!
Thanks
JD

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
the stock 44t does the job well. It can haul me at 50kph on flat ground, gets me up on bridgeways too.

Did you put any noise dampener on your clutch cover and on the fins yet?

Pinoyxprss

Mar 15, 2011
CA
I did the noise dampener on the clutch cover, it damps the noise a little but still loud, I learned how to ignore it after a while, Now i'm trying to get more speed without losing a lot of power, I think I'm going for 40t or 36t, I don't pedal to start, Just release the clutch slowly, which will probably eat my clutch pads faster. I also thought about shift kits but it's too much for my budget.

I like that freewheel sprocket you're looking at, only problem is how are you going to start the engine? pullstart?

thanks
JD

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, you just have to adopt on the noise :) 36-40t will do nicely I think. Looking at replacing my 44t with those tooth range also.

You are right, I cannot start the engine with a freewheel sprocket, I will need a pull start kit on this too. Now I am depressed :(

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I weigh 200lbs and have a 36T on one of my Bikes, it cruises almost vibration free at 30-32 GPS-ed MPH and pulls the hills around here at 22-25+MPH, my engine has the manic ported intake and I took a few thousands off the head to boost compression, but it is otherwise stock other than custom clutch pucks and does great with the 36T set up with the many times critisized rag joint sprocket mount, which by the way has functioned flawlessly for almost 1000miles on my other bike.

Only have 345 miles on this engine so far and it just keeps on running better & better, the difference in how smooth it runs compared to how it was only 100 miles ago is very noticable, if it gets any better I'll be cruising smooth at 34-35MPH probably, but thats yet to be seen.