sprocket change project

GoldenMotor.com

fuzzball

Sep 5, 2009
Eagle River, Wisc.
When I ordered a hub adapter from C.E., I got a 48 tooth sprocket thinking I'd need lots of power to climb hills in our neighborhood. Truth was, I could crest even the most steep at half throttle or less. And worse, going down the same hills without getting on the brakes a bit would over rev the motor. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day up here, so I thought I'd try the 41 tooth sprocket that came with my kit. I used Jim's sprocket as a template to drill the mounting holes, and had to shorten the chain. It took about an hour, but what a nice difference. I can now cruise at what used to almost be my top speed and still crest any hill without having to pedal. She sounds better too.Seems to hit more evenly with a little bit of a load on it all the time. Any way it was a great way to spend a fall afternoon.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's nice being a short, skinny guy (but watch out, i'm scrappy!)

i'm running a 32 (thanks jim) and i can still make hills, with only a slight bit of bogging.

since i'm pretty much going for all out speed, i'm thinking of dropping down to a 30. by "thinking," i mean i'm gonna do it.

i started with a 36, and wouldn't even bog up steep hills.

eventually, i'll probably build a stripped down racer with a 20 or something. pedal it up to speed and just tuck and hold on...

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes, weight is a big factor!

I'm 230 lbs...A 36T was O.K., I just didn't like the lack of acceleration.

Sprocket selection has a lot to do with the riding conditions also. It is very congested here. If I were riding in a flat rural area where I could maintain a constant speed: I would probably use a 36T.

Jim

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The specialized I built for the Death Race has a 36t, and it accelerates like a mad dog with the mods I did to the motor. But, using it around town sucks with a 20mph speed limit. The motor bogs and chugs anything below 23mph.