Spokes Keep Getting Loose

Discussion in 'Wheels, Brakes and Suspension' started by Tyler6357, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

Hey everyone! I have a 2 stroke, China girl, center mount direct drive, 69cc. My spokes on my rear rim keep getting loose and I have to keep retightening them to get the wheel true again. I'm using a sprocket adapter so I'm not using the rag joint set up. It must be caused by the torque or the vibrations. My wheel is just a basic 26" rim with 36 spokes, 7 speed cassette mountain bike wheel, I don't have double sided rims or anything. I'm using a rubber rim strip on the inside already.
    To solve this I was thinking of using blue locktite on the spoke threads, getting it true and then letting it dry but I'm wondering if doing this is a waste of time? Has anyone tried this or possibly come up with another solution? I have plenty of grease on my bearings and axle.

drn2

#1 Tyler6357, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. sbest

sbest New Member

Don't do the locktite!
    It is not the threads moving, it is stretch and strain.
    Do not over tighten, that will not help.

Steve

3. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Actually, the Loctite is a good idea!!
    Many professional wheel builders use a special 'glue' on the spoke threads to keep them from getting loose.

4. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

Do some research on "linseed oil". I personally haven't needed to treat my nipples (tee hee), but I wouldn't recommend LocTite since you'll have a ***** of a time getting the wheel trued after it sets. I hear that linseed dries tacky, and is ideal for lightly locking spoke-nipples. In my experience though, it's boiled down to multiple minor adjustments and patience. Once the spokes are properly balanced, they have a tendency to stay-put.

5. Tyler6357

Tyler6357 Member

Ok, I will do some more research on it. I was thinking of replacing the nipples with a slightly different style ones I have from an old wheel and see if I have better luck but I will look into the linseed oil too. I was going to use the blue loctite which they describe as a medium bond. It's good to know some pros do it though, I'm sure I'm on the right track. Thank you!