Someone told me this- is it true

GoldenMotor.com

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
My friend pointed out to me that they are no longer accepting the chinese kits into the county because they do not meet the EPA regulations for california. But the kits that are already here are aloud to be sold. But no more can be brought in. Is that true does anyone know. If it is i better stock up on the chinagirls then huh. .bf.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Not true, but it does take a heap of cash to pay for EPA certifications, so that limits the amount of people/companies willing to fork out the cash to make it happen....

ChetsJug

Apr 29, 2012
Los Angeles
2 stroke boat motors are a thing of the past. many lakes wont let them on. pollution going into the water thru the exhaust and all. all you can find is 4 stroke outboards now. i havent seen a 2 stroke lawnmower in ages.

the California Air Resources Board is constantly going above and beyond the point of stupidity. they are an unchecked Fascist bureaucracy.

it is true that 2 strokes can made fairly clean, but the cost in the small engine dept will probably mean they will fade away, like the rotary engine, you just can't make them as clean as 4 stroke. the 3 horse briggs & straton is gone, have you seen the larger 6+ HP's? this is because of smog regulations. they can get the larger 4 strokes to burn cleaner.

i believe a chain saw must stay 2 stroke because it has no float bowl and can run in any angle. so hopefully chainsaws with clutches will always be available.

have hope, maybe they will have 4 stroke weedeaters with 6 hp soon hahaha

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
EPA evaluations are based on particles per million per gallon consumed- if they bothered to do it paticles per million per PASSINGER MILE, these bikes would reigne supreme and driving a HummVee would be a felony
usflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
EPA evaluations are based on particles per million per gallon consumed- if they bothered to do it paticles per million per PASSINGER MILE, these bikes would reigne supreme and driving a HummVee would be a felony
usflg
Well unfortunately, this is not how it works so 2-strokes have a limited life here on earth regardless of the emissions they produce. The same goes for 4-strokes I'm sure as well.

Welcome to the real age of electricity.......please stand by!

(I will stay 4-stroke and not go electric till I die.....and even then)

Thumpers baby!!!

.wee.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
....and round & round it goes, every season, with no one having any more or less a clue than what we had before.

If you search around a bit you'll find that the "EPA ban" rumor has been prevalent, the ban "imminent" for years & tends to crop up in a recurring cycle - with every season being the last you can get them & every time the vendors swear up, down & sideways it's the gospel truth.

It's been going on as long as this forum has been around & longer... with the merchants proclaiming that what they have is the last in stock, better get 'em now while you can & jacking up the prices for that and the summer rush - yet interestingly, every winter they all mysteriously restock and the prices drop again.

Can we, the consumers make heads or tails of the information available, the legal jargon complete with a near endless list of exemptions as per application from the EPA themselves? Can we separate fact from fiction when our only "clear" information comes from advertisers otherwise proven unscrupulous?

I think not.

Until it reaches the point where we can no longer purchase any of these 2 strokes in the off season, where "out of stock" issues can't be due to demand alone, when all other generic, no-name & clone two strokes are also completely unavailable - I would suggest just shrugging it off as no more than the rumor it's proven to be, time and time again. It may well be a "boy who cried wolf" scenario, but I believe it has far, far more to do with jacking up prices & soliciting this response than anything else;

If it is i better stock up on the chinagirls then huh.
& so far, that's the only clear truth I've seen.

It's essentially irrelevant in any case - the market, the demand has been on the rise exponentially so even were all 2 strokes banned outright, there'd be an equivalent 4 stroke engine developed to fill the niche, a low cost vertical designed to bolt into a bicycle's frame just like the HT... the time is well past & the only thing that's been holding it back is the easy availability of the in frame 2 strokers w/their high profit margin - the market is already swamped with such inexpensive four strokes, not only are they of far better quality - they're actually "cheaper" as they come complete with actual gearboxes both automatic and standard... only problem is they're horizontal & not kits;

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19630

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
as far as two strokes go,there are environmentally friendy oils that can be used.
the brand new Stihl four stroke weed trimmers use two stroke oil in the gas as a
crankcase lubricant.it has overhead valves and runs like a four stroke.