Some seriously basic newbie queries

GoldenMotor.com

OzCruiser

Mar 14, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
N00bie post. Please be gentle :)

This week I just got myself an Electra Cruiser. It looks like 4 stroke engine is the way to go for low maintenance, cleaner run, easy petrol mix, etc... I'm not much of a tinkerer - just want something that ups and goes.

But I sit here and read about bike gears and start to wonder, is this something I have to consider with my first motor bicycle engine? As the Cruiser I just bought doesn't have any - just the single sprocket.

Also, is it safe to assume I can pedal (i.e. use the bike as it was originally intended!) without having to engage the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Toughgirl

Jan 2, 2010
CA
Hello, I'm sure you'll receive many replies to to your question Oz, there are many of us who like to help out here, sorry I can't answer this one

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
hey Oz, You're practically right on all points. Four strokes less maintenance, no pre-mix for gas,etc. Probably rear motor chain sprockets you're considering when mentioning "gears". The more teeth on your rear sprocket {44, 48, or more} better for hill climbing steeper grades, the smaller sprockets for flat land, speed. If you got complete kit for the Bike just use the sprocket that comes with it. As for actual gears as in "Two speed" or some type of "Jack shaft" I'd keep it simple and just use what you got........................ for now, haha And Yes, you can hold in clutch lever/locking pin and just pedal. Good luck

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Spend some time looking at the 4 stroke builds, you might want to look at the laws where you are too.
Lots of people have put engines on cruiser bikes, my only suggestion is you really NEED brakes on both ends- you are not going to be putting around at normal bike speeds and the coaster brake is fine for grandma and little kids but not for 20 or 30 mph.

Cheech

Aug 22, 2009
Red Rock,West Virginia,USA
Hello Oz,
We love Newbies around here because you are the future of the sport.Check your post often cause your gonna get a lot of help some good some not so good.That said,when you start out building keep it simple,sound like your on the right track with a new bike and that motor.I agree with professor make sure your brakes are always well tuned."Going Fast is a Blast" but,intersections with bad brakes kill people.One last thing...be very very careful because these things can become very addictive...
"Ride the Breeze"™....Cheech

OzCruiser

Mar 14, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! Nougat - I had no idea there were so many different mount options! I'm definately keen on the 'in frame' look, and Cheech/Professor, I have a friend who's a bicycle mechanic so will make sure the brakes are seen to as a priority.

Check out the fourth bike from the bottom of the VeniceMotorBikes dot com page. That's pretty much what bike I have and what "look" I was going for. The picture of the motor engine at the very bottom of their page shows that a sprocket comes with the kit...

Hang on... I *think* I've just got it.

Am I right in saying it doesn't matter what gears I have currently on the bike (or lack thereof in my case - I've only got the single front & rear sprocket) because the bike engine actually runs via a chain down the "other side" of the bike, and connects to the additional sprocket that's supplied with the engine?

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
You've got it. You will be adding a rear sprocket to the left side of the rear wheel, and the engine chain will drive that sprocket. The stock mount for that sprocket is called a rag joint, and getting it set up requires some patience.
so yourself some hair loss ,check out manic's hub adapter and trash the rag joint

AussieSteve

Nov 26, 2009
Nowra, NSW, Australia
Hello OzCruiser.
First, yes, you can still pedal as a normal bike with an engine kit fitted, but with a HT kit there is more drag due to the extra chain and clutch friction.

Usually, it doesn't matter what gears your bike has, for a standard single-speed setup.

Having said that, a Sick Bike Parts shift-kit transfers a HT engine's drive from LHS to RHS, into your normal drive-train, allowing you to use your gears.
I have one fitted, driving my 6-speed derailleurs. I'd never go back to a single-speed MB.
Can get down to 5mph in first, or 50mph in 6th on a slight downhill.

... Steve

OzCruiser

Mar 14, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for responding Steve. I don't have any gears (authentic cruiser - single front & rear sprocket) so no need to worry about the shift kit. Good to know regardless though! Cheers