So I'm going to build my first bike from the ground up...

GoldenMotor.com

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
I'm building my first motorized bike from the ground up and i need some pointers on forks, seats, cranks, brakes, etc. first thing i want to know is what frame should i buy? I want something that has a pedestal motor mount.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
The first thing you need to decide is how much you wish to spend...haha. Your budget will dictate what parts you can get.

Last edited:

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
Well I won't spend more than 200 for a frame and I know which engine I'm getting. Dio reed engine from zeda. I just need to know the other small stuff and again, which frame

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Well, I just finished my bike that I built from the ground up. I purchased a GT2-A frame from a friend who was selling one. One thing you can do is look on craigslist and see if you can find some of the basic used parts like peddle crank and peddles to save money. I recommend getting a suspension fork that has a disc brake mount.

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
Well, I just finished my bike that I built from the ground up. I purchased a GT2-A frame from a friend who was selling one. One thing you can do is look on craigslist and see if you can find some of the basic used parts like peddle crank and peddles to save money. I recommend getting a suspension fork that has a disc brake mount.

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
I would prefer to get everything new and yeah disc brakes were on my list. But how do you put disc brakes on the rear wheel with mag wheels. I know you can do it but I just don't know how

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't really know much about Mag wheels but I recommend them because they have mounts for the rear sprocket, unless you were planning on putting a shift kit on. I have only seen one hub that allows for a disc brake on the back, it's on the bicycle chain side and it's not a mag wheel. ----> http://www.damgood.com/cycle.html

But the truth is, you don't really need it, just use a rim brake on the back. You really shouldn't put much braking power on the back wheel anyhow.

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
I don't really know much about Mag wheels but I recommend them because they have mounts for the rear sprocket, unless you were planning on putting a shift kit on. I have only seen one hub that allows for a disc brake on the back, it's on the bicycle chain side and it's not a mag wheel. ----> http://www.damgood.com/cycle.html

But the truth is, you don't really need it, just use a rim brake on the back. You really shouldn't put much braking power on the back wheel anyhow.
I think ill try to to rear mag wheel disc and if I never get it to work ill probably get a drum brake or a coaster brake

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you get a GT2-A frame with the pedestal engine mount the one piece peddle crank like the kind found on beach cruser bikes fits them perfectly.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Good choice, it has a rear disc mount but I shift-kit build on that frame and use most of the parts from a Fido Modena like this https://www.amazon.com/Fito-Modena-Aluminum-Alloy-Cruiser/dp/B01ERCQMUI/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

I swap out the stiff triple tree fork for disc brake ready shock fork.
$100 well spent for powder coat.

Here is a Fito not moved to a gas tank frame with shock front fork.

Here's the parts simply moved to a Skyhawk gas tank frame.

If you go this route, 3" tires and front and rear disc brakes, you need a shift kit to move power to the pedal side, the pedal side will always clear the back tire and not mess with brakes.

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
Good choice, it has a rear disc mount but I shift-kit build on that frame and use most of the parts from a Fido Modena like this https://www.amazon.com/Fito-Modena-Aluminum-Alloy-Cruiser/dp/B01ERCQMUI/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

I swap out the stiff triple tree fork for disc brake ready shock fork.
$100 well spent for powder coat.

Here is a Fito not moved to a gas tank frame with shock front fork.

Here's the parts simply moved to a Skyhawk gas tank frame.

If you go this route, 3" tires and front and rear disc brakes, you need a shift kit to move power to the pedal side, the pedal side will always clear the back tire and not mess with brakes.
I will never use a shift kit because not only will i not be able to legally ride it after that, but they're notoriously unreliable. Besides I talked to the guys at Zeda and they said theyre developing a new clutch system which is alledgedly a CVT. If we get the cvt it will make shift kits totally obsolete.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
But the truth is,
you don't really need it, just use a rim brake on the back.
You really shouldn't put much braking power on the back wheel anyhow.
There is no such thing as 'too much' brake!

No motorized bike is safe with just one brake!
And if you are in the 35+mph club like many of my builds, you want dual disc brakes, especially if you drive 30mph in traffic, bike lanes or not.
Having a service van cut you off going 40mph... it hurts.

I learned my lesson quick, no MB is safe with just one brake.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
There is no such thing as 'too much' brake!

No motorized bike is safe with just one brake!
And if you are in the 35+mph club like many of my builds, you want dual disc brakes, especially if you drive 30mph in traffic, bike lanes or not.
Having a service van cut you off going 40mph... it hurts.

I learned my lesson quick, no MB is safe with just one brake.
I never said to not have a rear brake. If you read my entire post you will see that when I said that you don't really need it, that I was referring to a disc brake on the back. I was saying that a rim brake on the back is fine and I only said that most of the braking power should be on the front brake and not the rear one, and I stand by that.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I never said to not have a rear brake.
I know that and agree to a point, this was just chance to go on with my 'importance of brakes' especially since so many including myself ride at 30-40mph and expect just a coaster brake to stop them, it helps, just reinforcing you need more brake in general is all bud ;-}

BobbyBlazer

Apr 12, 2018
Hi all !
I was reading through this forum yesterday, gaining knowledge and getting ideas. So i thought i would sign up and share my first one.

My first build was a friction drive using a weed eater motor, hand tools, and bar stock It probably cost me about $120 in parts and the motor was free. It vibrated like mad, but was a fun first build... Mongoose XR-75 build

My son has an electric bicycle that I am thinking about mounting a weed eater motor on the front wheel to get some more top end. So it will be pedal/electric/gas powered
i think you intended to make your own thread... instead you just replied to someone elses (mine)