So I saw this ad on Craigslist...

GoldenMotor.com

Beach cruiser (with engine) or the chopper (add engine myself)

• Total voters

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
So I saw this ad on craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3117625643.html

And my situation right now is: Don't have a a motorbicycle yet, but I was going to buy a bicycle and get an engine kit.

But now that I saw this ad, what should I do?

1. Buy the beach cruiser that already comes with the motor. [$240]
  • Save money
  • BUT, I may run into trouble because it's not new
  • Wont have as much fun as buying everything else separately

2.Buy the chopper, and buy an engine kit my self. [$80]
  • Will have more fun picking out parts my self
  • Engine kit will be new, lesser chance of problems
  • Will end up spending more money
  • Never ridden a chopper before, might be too low for my comfort?

I think I'm going to go for the chopper and engine kit separately, but I've never ridden a chopper bicycle before and i think I might be uncomfortable on it because of it's height. How tall are choppers compared to a beach cruiser, and to those people who have choppers do you feel uncomfortable being that low?

Thanks for the input!

~EDIT: Okay, so I just found out that it's hard to put one of these engine kits on a chopper... how hard is it? IS there an aftermarket mount for choppers? I saw this on eBay, but I'm not sure... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-OCC...ltDomain_0&hash=item27c60be28a#ht_3443wt_1185

Last edited:

jdavidstamper

Jul 3, 2012
meridian, Id
.trk
So I saw this ad on craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3117625643.html

And my situation right now is: Don't have a a motorbicycle yet, but I was going to buy a bicycle and get an engine kit.

But now that I saw this ad, what should I do?

1. Buy the beach cruiser that already comes with the motor. [$240]
  • Save money
  • BUT, I may run into trouble because it's not new
  • Wont have as much fun as buying everything else separately

2.Buy the chopper, and buy an engine kit my self. [$80]
  • Will have more fun picking out parts my self
  • Engine kit will be new, lesser chance of problems
  • Will end up spending more money
  • Never ridden a chopper before, might be too low for my comfort?

I think I'm going to go for the chopper and engine kit separately, but I've never ridden a chopper bicycle before and i think I might be uncomfortable on it because of it's height. How tall are choppers compared to a beach cruiser, and to those people who have choppers do you feel uncomfortable being that low?

Thanks for the input!

~EDIT: Okay, so I just found out that it's hard to put one of these engine kits on a chopper... how hard is it? IS there an aftermarket mount for choppers? I saw this on eBay, but I'm not sure... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-OCC...ltDomain_0&hash=item27c60be28a#ht_3443wt_1185
i happen to have two choppers in my garage right now, though the lower ride is a little strange to get use to its not that bad. the issue comes with the mounting of the motor, note that the rear tire on the chopper is much wider than that of a regular bicycle, so it requires a special mounting bracket. also note that the chopper stye bicycle does not have a v frame like the normal bicycle and the rear tire is a deep dish on the spokes so mounting the sprocket to it also becomes a little tricky. once the engine is mounted and you are actually riding the pedal assist it is rather comfy and easy to control, but if you are six foot tall or taller you'll definitely want a different handle bar set up to save your knees a constant beating, consider something like ape hangers. oh and before i forgett the chain tightner is a ***** to install on the chopper as well, so you may be better off buying the mounting kit...hope this helps

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
.trk

i happen to have two choppers in my garage right now, though the lower ride is a little strange to get use to its not that bad. the issue comes with the mounting of the motor, note that the rear tire on the chopper is much wider than that of a regular bicycle, so it requires a special mounting bracket. also note that the chopper stye bicycle does not have a v frame like the normal bicycle and the rear tire is a deep dish on the spokes so mounting the sprocket to it also becomes a little tricky. once the engine is mounted and you are actually riding the pedal assist it is rather comfy and easy to control, but if you are six foot tall or taller you'll definitely want a different handle bar set up to save your knees a constant beating, consider something like ape hangers. oh and before i forgett the chain tightner is a ***** to install on the chopper as well, so you may be better off buying the mounting kit...hope this helps
That does help, thanks...
Hmm.. that sounds like a lot of trouble, I'd definietly be willing to pay for the mounting kit, if that's all I need. If I buy the mounting kit, all those problems should disappear? Or would other problems arise like the muffler, or something?

~EDIT: Is it possible to buy a compatible, thinner rear wheel (without hurting the stability of the bike) thus making the job easier?

Last edited:

jdavidstamper

Jul 3, 2012
meridian, Id
.trk

truth is that the kits seem like they have all the necessary equipment and that they would be a cinch to install, but doesn't everything lol. seriously though i am considering fabricating my own mounting bracket it looks simple enuf and as for the muffler most of the kits come with an extended on that mounts to the frame near the rear tire, check out ebay for these under "schwinn chopper"

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
truth is that the kits seem like they have all the necessary equipment and that they would be a cinch to install, but doesn't everything lol. seriously though i am considering fabricating my own mounting bracket it looks simple enuf and as for the muffler most of the kits come with an extended on that mounts to the frame near the rear tire, check out ebay for these under "schwinn chopper"
lol, you quoted yourself, I think you meant to quote me, ermm I didn't really understand your post too well =X

So, the mounting bracket should solve a lot of those chopper problems? And I guess there are no thin rear chopper wheels?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not meant as advise but the building is a big part of the fun and frustration. But the really, well, big part any way is with DIY, you feel or hear some thing off, ya just seem to know when some thing is up and where to look. That's aside from the joy of creating your own functional art. Really is a blast first time she fires off and your cruising down the street!

Cool part about our thing, you can build or buy one then turn around and take her apart and do it completely different. Art is never finished, just abandoned. (LOL, as in next build)

If I were to offer advise it would be to enjoy the build part. Take your time and really enjoy it. My first kit build, I raced with the add that said "can be built in less then 4 hours" LOL, I did it but really, really badly. Now takes me 2 days to do a China girl build and that is if every thing goes smoothly. It never goes smoothly. But that is part of the fun.

Build some thing cool!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
In the time you have been posting here you could have gotten the cruiser and been out riding... :)
Where's the fun in that? Well, besides the riding. :p Building something yourself can be more gratifying than jumping on someone else's build. And who know's what issues will arise. Was it "Granny" driven? Or ridden like it was stolen and taken over dirt jumps. Was the carb tuned right? Or was it running lean and about to throw a bearing/bushing... :eek: It's a roll of the dice I think.

OP, I think the eBay link your looking at is just for the bracket. I think the extended pipe is another $40-50, double check. But I think the stock pipes will fit in those frames, it just doesn't look as good :)

gl.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Considering the wheels off I would guess it's been whooped on hard.

Why not just buy a new engine kit and bike and build a good bike for yourself?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You've gotten some good advice here. My two cents input is that I'd say keep it simple and get riding. A cruiser makes a good motorbicycle that is pretty easy to set up and comfortable to ride. While you're enjoying your first motorbike experience give some more thought to that next bike. You can always sell your first one that you learned on. Ride somebodies chopper as a pedal bike to see if it seems to fit you. With a first, pretty simple build under your belt you'll have a better idea of what you want, what's involved and whether or not you have the skill and interest to do a more difficult build. Most of all, have fun and stay safe.
SB

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Not meant as advise but the building is a big part of the fun and frustration. But the really, well, big part any way is with DIY, you feel or hear some thing off, ya just seem to know when some thing is up and where to look. That's aside from the joy of creating your own functional art. Really is a blast first time she fires off and your cruising down the street!

Cool part about our thing, you can build or buy one then turn around and take her apart and do it completely different. Art is never finished, just abandoned. (LOL, as in next build)

If I were to offer advise it would be to enjoy the build part. Take your time and really enjoy it. My first kit build, I raced with the add that said "can be built in less then 4 hours" LOL, I did it but really, really badly. Now takes me 2 days to do a China girl build and that is if every thing goes smoothly. It never goes smoothly. But that is part of the fun.

Build some thing cool!
Yes! More encouragement to build my own ;)

....Building something yourself can be more gratifying than jumping on someone else's build. And who know's what issues will arise. Was it "Granny" driven? Or ridden like it was stolen and taken over dirt jumps. Was the carb tuned right? Or was it running lean and about to throw a bearing/bushing... :eek: It's a roll of the dice I think.

OP, I think the eBay link your looking at is just for the bracket. I think the extended pipe is another $40-50, double check. But I think the stock pipes will fit in those frames, it just doesn't look as good :)
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I can always get a other extended pipe, I can deal with ugliness for now

You've gotten some good advice here. My two cents input is that I'd say keep it simple and get riding. A cruiser makes a good motorbicycle that is pretty easy to set up and comfortable to ride. While you're enjoying your first motorbike experience give some more thought to that next bike. You can always sell your first one that you learned on. Ride somebodies chopper as a pedal bike to see if it seems to fit you. With a first, pretty simple build under your belt you'll have a better idea of what you want, what's involved and whether or not you have the skill and interest to do a more difficult build. Most of all, have fun and stay safe.
SB
Ermm, I think I'm going to go for the chopper, because like some people said before, it might not be in good condition, also he said the muffler is gone...
Also, I'm not going to be doing many builds, just one. (unless it ends up incredinly crappy)

-Thanks for the input guys

----------------------------------------------------

So I messaged two different mount bracket guys on eBay, and they said
"I checked out the links you sent me and yes my mount will work perfectly for your build!"
&
"if you have a shwinn occ bicycle. and the motor looks like what is in my ad it will work"

IS that chopper on craigslist a schwinn occ? And with that mount, I won't be having much trouble installing while going step by step through installation videos (like the ones on motovelo.us)?

Last edited by a moderator:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Also, I'm not going to be doing many builds, just one. (unless it ends up incredinly crappy)
That's what we all said at first! :D Its only crappy 'til you're Happy! Once you get the grin under your skin and start tweaking and getting it the way you like it, you'll be happy, for a while. Just like any hobby. Then you start thinking what to build next :p It may take a couple years, or a couple months, heh heh.

btw, small carbs are easy to figure out. There tonnes of info and lots of helpful people around here to help you out. Many member have built all kinds of choppers. So if you ever get stuck, the Google search at the top only brings up threads/posts here. And if that doesn't work, you know how to start a thread :)

If you want to read up a bit before parts/kits start arriving. There's two styles of carbs that come with kits.

There's the humble NT, simple but highly efficient. (click pic for a teardown thread by master Norm)

There is a "Speed" Version of the NT with a little wider throttle-body, usually around $25+ship.

And there's the CNS "Racing" Carb. I put the racing in quotes because more people have trouble tuning it than success racing it, let alone tuning it for daily use. If you can dial it in, it supposedly does well, but I don't think I've seen a CNS in any pics from the races(there's a racing league in Cali), lots of Delorto, Mikuni, Walbro($100+ carbs, eep)...

But anyway, this is a CNS(teardown thread by master KCVale)

So there's some reading for you before your kit even gets to the door. Depending on what kit you get and from where. (Bikeberry has a $50 off kits for the 4th on FB, Gasbikes had $25off on FB too). Check out the vendors in the sidebars. Sure you can order a little cheaper off eBay, but what happens if you need customer service? or if the kits box was half crushed and squashed your tank... Some vendors have 6mo warranties.

So yea, lots to take in, but don't get intimidated. Once they're in your hands you'll realize how simple they are. It's not like you're setting up a Tri-power, or a Six-pack, heh heh.

gl.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Thanks killercanuck for the good info :)
I skimmed through the threads, will have to give them a detailed look soon.

I'm scared of what you say about wanting to build more builds... I hope it wont be true lol.

I live in CA, so my options are very limited -- I was thinking one of these
Motorizedbikeparts : http://www.shop.motorizedbikeparts.com/product.sc?productId=32
That'sDax : http://thatsdax.com/
John Deere/Gas Engine Bicycles : http://www.gasenginebicycles.com/

Probably will go with Motorizedbikeparts, or That's Dax... but I'll have to research which kit is better.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"That's what we all said at first! Its only crappy 'til you're Happy! Once you get the grin under your skin and start tweaking and getting it the way you like it, you'll be happy, for a while. Just like any hobby. Then you start thinking what to build next It may take a couple years, or a couple months, heh heh."

LOL Killer! Ayup

Sure it starts with "I'll just try one build" Then your doing one for a friend. Then the hard stuff, need a daily cruiser, one for events and week ends. Then your buying tools every week end your not building. Then you take over the gargage and have to build a shed to serve as a work-shop. "Just a few more minutes Honey, I'll be right in....."

From BarleyAwake;

1. We admitted we were powerless while pedaling—that our hills and distances had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore bicycling to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of engines as we understood them.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the interwebs.
5. Admitted to our budget, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our desires.
6. Were entirely ready to have the patience to remove all these defects of our rides.
7. Humbly asked of our tools to remove all shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all problems that may cause harm, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such issues wherever possible, except when to do so would injure yourself or others.
10. Continued to make modifications and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through patience and experimentation to improve our contact with the road as we understood it, seeking only for knowledge and entertainment for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to all bicyclists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Amen Brother(s). "I'll be right in..." Them's fighting words, ...get ready to duck, lol.

Sammich, you can do a search here on California kits. But Venice motor bikes is in LA, so look him up too eh. The kits are out there though. Up here we can only get EPA in Canuckistan, but CARB is a (not-too-much)different story.

heh heh.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
-Shakes fist at CARB-

Okay, one last question (well for this thread haha), I don't really see how that eBay mount works.. I see this rectangular metal plate with two protruding cylinders at odd angles and two bolts opposite each cylinder.

How would that attach to my chopper (well, soon to be chopper) and where would the engine go?
There's no welding... is there?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
No welding, that's the whole point of the mount. :p You can see the posts are offset in this pic better. It just bolts to the frame and the engine bolts to the posts. The posts mimic normal frame geometry.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
No welding, that's the whole point of the mount. :p You can see the posts are offset in this pic better. It just bolts to the frame and the engine bolts to the posts. The posts mimic normal frame geometry.

Ahh okay, thanks a bunch.
But I must say, on these youtube videos, choppers look so tiny and low, it looks uncomfortable (especially for the back).