shift kit on a cruiser ?

GoldenMotor.com

goldmatch45

Sep 3, 2010
Memphis, TN
I'm thinking of putting a shift kit on my townie. Is that overkill? I'm not looking for a fast bike. My hope is the kit will give me a better range of speed with less strain on the motor so it will run a little quieter. What do you guys think?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Personally I don't feel my beach cruiser would benefit from one unless I installed some sort of suspension. I run a 40T and can get up to a little over 30 mph now. With a rigid frame that's pretty fast. Going down hill it'll try to go 35 now and I have to let off the gas to slow it down.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Do it and you will get just what you are looking for... better range of speed with less strain on the motor and it will run quieter.Its great to be able to cruise almost any speed you want while the engine is barley reving.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Shift Kits are cool I put one on my Scwinn Cruiser 3 speed internal shift hub and it performs real well. Real quiet, and nice low hill climbing gear. Had to add a front and rear brake, but now it will stop on a dime!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm presuming you know shift kits don't work with single or multi-speed bikes w/coaster brakes.:-||

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm presuming you know shift kits don't work with single or multi-speed bikes w/coaster brakes.:-||
Hey, 5-7. Are you referring to internal shifting hubs with coaster brakes? Why don't shifter kits work with them? I've got a Sachs Torpedo 2-speed hub that shifts centrifugally that I was going to try, and it has a coaster brake. It's not unlike the Bendix kick-back in performance, but is shifts by itself while you're pedalling. Let me know what yo thiink. Thanks.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Disreguard my dumb inquiry. I just realized It's not the shift kit that won't work, it's the coaster brake because you can't back pedal to engage it.

QUOTE=msrfan;244091]Hey, 5-7. Are you referring to internal shifting hubs with coaster brakes? Why don't shifter kits work with them? I've got a Sachs Torpedo 2-speed hub that shifts centrifugally that I was going to try, and it has a coaster brake. It's not unlike the Bendix kick-back in performance, but is shifts by itself while you're pedalling. Let me know what yo thiink. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Disreguard my dumb inquiry. I just realized It's not the shift kit that won't work, it's the coaster brake because you can't back pedal to engage it.

QUOTE=msrfan;244091]Hey, 5-7. Are you referring to internal shifting hubs with coaster brakes? Why don't shifter kits work with them? I've got a Sachs Torpedo 2-speed hub that shifts centrifugally that I was going to try, and it has a coaster brake. It's not unlike the Bendix kick-back in performance, but is shifts by itself while you're pedalling. Let me know what yo thiink. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Not dumb. Made you think, lol.