removing paint from aluminum frame

GoldenMotor.com

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
I'm bike has an aluminium frame. It's paint is in good condition. It's clearcoated. I want a polished look. What's the best way to remove the paint without jarring the frame? I'm thinking solvent or sandblasting?
Squirrel

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
if you can use walnuts,glass bead or soda blast for blasting sand would be bad would destroy the frame same with black slag and a few other things with a high grit/hardness as far as solvents go paint thinner as a stripper is a good choice but its messy as is most strippers

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Yesterday, I used Klean Strip "aircraft paint remover" on a bike frame I just got to remove the clearcoat. I did the same on the forks. Sprayed on from a spray can, left on for 30 minutes, used a soft brass wire brush to remove it, washed with dish soap and water, and let it dry. I then used 600 grit, wet and dry paper with WD40 as a lube and worked on the scratches, and then went over it with Neverdull. No "Mothers" yet. It seems to be coming around nicely.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yesterday, I used Klean Strip "aircraft paint remover" on a bike frame I just got to remove the clearcoat. I did the same on the forks. Sprayed on from a spray can, left on for 30 minutes, used a soft brass wire brush to remove it, washed with dish soap and water, and let it dry. I then used 600 grit, wet and dry paper with WD40 as a lube and worked on the scratches, and then went over it with Neverdull. No "Mothers" yet. It seems to be coming around nicely.
Very nicely I might add! That LTS is already looking very shiney....nice job.

dnut

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
scotto,

You spotted what kind of bike it was right off. Experience? I bought it because it thought it was very well built and might make a good platform for an e-bike build. For a 16 year old bike it seems to be very tight yet. I'm going to try to get the Marzocchi shocks as shiney. Worked on them for a couple hours after getting the paint and sticker off. Still some machine grooves to work on.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
scotto,

You spotted what kind of bike it was right off. Experience? I bought it because it thought it was very well built and might make a good platform for an e-bike build. For a 16 year old bike it seems to be very tight yet. I'm going to try to get the Marzocchi shocks as shiney. Worked on them for a couple hours after getting the paint and sticker off. Still some machine grooves to work on.
Yes Greybeard, the GT LTS-1 was ridden to some (DH MTB Pro) victories in it's day by Mike King (former BMX champ at the time). I do have a bit of expirience from that era....I raced the Norba circuit and many other mountain bike races for well over 10 years. My avatar is of me on the Mammoth Mtn. Kamikazi downhill riding a polished aluminum RC-201 Mammoth Bicycles (elevated chainstay and polished original Rock Shox). Those were some fun times.....

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Couple more pics. Wish I had before and after. I was going to take this stuff down, and out to be powdercoated, but it sure looks OK this way to me. I'm overwhelmed by what a spray can and a few hours of work can do.

Attachments

Last edited:

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
Well I finally got around to stripping the bike yesterday. I went with zip strip. It's a gel I guess. It's working great as far as removing the paint but it has to go on thick and I'm having a problem keeping it on the tubes. It makes the paint sizzle and bubble then you wipe it off. Clean up with water.
I'm thinking if I put it on some paper bags I can wrap the frame with the saturated paper.
Any thoughts?
I live in pretty remote area so I used what was available.
Thank you in advance squirrel.

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
99% of the paint is off!
Whoo Hoo!!!
I'll post a pic of the bike when I'm on my computer.
Because I used a green scrubber to remove the paint, the frame now has a dull grey finish. Looks nice but I wanna polish it. What to buy? Where to start?
I'm thinking steel wool, then finer and finer grades of sandpaper?
Finish up with a buffer pad on a drill and my dremel. I anticipate this taking awhile.
Thoughts?
Comments?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Try this stuff, but first, READ the h & s instructions, it's effective and truly lethal:

http://www.chemetall.aero/pdf/TDS Ardrox 2814_pdf.pdf

I'm not joking, you can't fly it or transport by sea anywhere. It will strip thick lacquer off guitar bodies in ribbons and make a cackling noise while it does it. So, you read the h & s, gather all the safety gear in place first, knowing how to use it; then, no paint in the world will stop you.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
aircraft remover has to be one of the best on the market.
i have had really good success with DAD's paint remover as well.
the best you will find is elbow grease,the more you use the better the end result.
sanding,or wet sanding up to 600 wet should get you to the polishing point.you could go higher to 1200 or 2000,but it all depends on how much patience you have.
looking forward to seeing the finished product.

i sanded all the paint off a bike when i was quite young,clear coated the bare steel.
my brother took it and wrecked it.i was a teenager.never wanted to put that much time into a bike ever again.til now.

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
pics!
theres two shots of the bike after initial tear down and two shots of the frame after stripping.
ill go to the local napa and getsanding sometime in the near future.
i also need to get a bottom bracket removal tool.
plans include a lay back seatpost/ gas tank from sportscarpat.
rt carb from dax
i got a buddy who builds electric mountain boards and he's gonna help me out with wiring. gonna go rechargeable with some switches.
check out my other thread in the cruiser section titled "been riding the trek for two years time to go custom" to see what she looked like before.
this morning i dubbed her "Betsy"
:-||

Attachments

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
It looks like the grey finish is a powdercoat or primer that the zip strip wouldn't touch. I used my dremel with a wire wheel and did a test run. I could see/ feel the difference between the grey and brushed finishes. I'm thinking that a brushed finish might go better with the overall idea I have for the finished product.