Rag Joint

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
These "rag joints" as they are called are made from old tires. Strong , yes. Even, no. The ones I have while the drilled holes are matched, the sizes are different and on one it is thicker in some spots than others. Is this normal and will it just squash down and make no difference. Causing a lot of problems, at least for me. Just wondering, sure wish they were more true.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Gary,
any inconsistancy in the thickness of the rubber can give you fits when it comes to a true running sprocket. Sometimes, if the difference is not too bad you can compensate by adjusting the tightness of the sprocket bolts.
If possible contact your vendor and request a replacement rag joint if your rubbers are way out of wack.
I've never tried it but it might be possible to grind/sand down the thicker parts to match, which might be quicker than waiting for parts to be shipped.
Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
According to my evil eye, by compressing, the joint seems to be true. Got the center line accomplished an like I said, it seem true. However further testing will be needed. Oh, the kit came out of Canada on ebay so my bad I guess but I can overcome I bet. More later and thanks loads for all the input. Now for them flimsy fenders, OMG supports crush to the wheel if you look at them too hard. lol

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Thanks fellas for the advice some of which I mirrored and did not realize it such as the advice about loose bolts , hammer and wood. I did the same then came in and read about it. What is that about great minds running in the same channels???? Anyway it is on , rode the bike, no engine and all seemed good. Any wobble or anything else is not detectable with the naked eye. So on the the next phase. THANKS ALL

ardensmith

Apr 14, 2011
california
A rag joint refers to certain flexible joints (flexure bearings) found on automobiles. They are typically found on steering shafts that connect the steering wheel to the steering gear input shaft, usually at the steering gear end. They provide a small amount of flex for a steering shaft within a few degrees of the same plane as the steering gear input shaft. It also provides some damping of vibration coming from the steering system, providing some isolation for the steering wheel.

This type of joint was also used on drive shafts of 1960s race cars, later being replaced by the constant-velocity joint or driveshafts with pairs of universal joint. Rear-wheel drive cars have commonly used a lengthwise propeller shaft with a rubber doughnut joint at the gearbox end (limited movement) and a universal joint at the rear axle (greater movement). This gives articulation where needed, but also stops some of the vibration being transmitted into the body.

The joint consists of a piece of doughnut shaped rubber with reinforcing cords vulcanized in it, similar to a tire. This disc is bolted or riveted to flanges mounted on the ends of the shafts to connect the steering wheel shaft to the steering gear. The ragged cords can be seen on the edge of this piece of rubber, hence the term "rag joint". The bolt holes themselves are often reinforced by steel tubes moulded into the doughnut.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Know what you mean. My 74 Karmann Glhia has a steering shaft connected that way. The pieces of rubber I got in the kit are plainly made from tires , can see the tread and very uneven. I was able to true it out by going around and tightening the bolts. These could of been made better but for the cost that is what one has to deal with. Still fun.