Premium or regular?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by tvc15, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tvc15

tvc15 New Member

What type of gas should I use and what is the perfect mix for synthetic oil?

2. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

I'm afraid your question is a bit too general and prone to personal preference...

...but generally speaking, high octane fuels are for high compression engines (which most stock bicycle engines are not) & the "best" ratio for a synthetic is whatever the manufacturer of the synthetic oil recommends for that oil ;)

We've ppl runnin' anywhere from 24:1 to 100:1 and all seem to love w/e it is they've got lol

3. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

I like white eggs myself but other people swear by brown eggs. :D

4. motorizedmatt

motorizedmatt New Member

Personally I run 91 octane Chevron Gas with Castor 927 oil at a 32:1 mix and it runs great!

5. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

87 octane is more than enough for a 6:1 compression ratio.

Use the manufactures' suggestions for any chosen oil.

6. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Love the smell of that 927....castor based oils rock when it comes to aroma!

That is a very good oil as well, been using it for years in some of my two-strokes. Maxima K-2 is my fave however.

And as for the topic here.....I'm a fool for premium in all single cylinder engines, 2 or 4-stroke, high or low compression....that's just merotfl

#6 scotto-, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. breno

breno New Member

BP 98 octane/ Castrol Active 2T 16:1 seems to do the trick plug looks happy

8. Nougat

Nougat New Member

87 octane is plenty for these motors, but premium pump gas often has extra additives which may serve the engine well. Of course, those additives are designed for car engines, but I have to think it might help keep the carbon build up down.

Better to make sure you're getting gas from a station that doesn't have water leaking into the tanks.

9. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Oh and don't go higher than 32:1 with standard 2cyl oil. 100:1 is for high end synthetics.

10. breno

breno New Member

I couldnt even dream of goin to 32:1 I reckon it would be way too leann, not sure if its coz of the higher octane we have here or the two stroke oil being used.
    I was using valvalene oil b4, after switching to the castrol the carbon build up has reduced massively.