PLASTI DIP Experiment On FD Roller...Failure

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by beach cruiser, Jun 24, 2012.

1. beach cruiser

beach cruiser Member

Finally found the time to install the Plasti Dipped shaft on the bike and conduct trial runs. What seemed to be a good idea turned out to be a failure after only a mile. It had really good bite at first but it quickly wore away. The Plasti Dip was brushed on (3 coats) with glass blasting media applied in 2 coats. The Plasti Dip was allowed to dry 1 full day between coats so curing was not the reason for the failure.

Attached Files:

#1 beach cruiser, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. alienboy366

alienboy366 New Member

I was just thinking about dipping my car matte black or some other color with that stuff.

3. killercanuck

killercanuck New Member

Too bad that failed so fast Beach, it sounded promising.

What about trying the grit in fiberglass epoxy? Should last longer than a mile at least.

4. feelyx

feelyx New Member

5. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

I was hoping for better results- you live and you learn.

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

6. MTB Moto

MTB Moto New Member

Great experiment, as you never know what the next big thing will be...

...how about truck bed coatings?

Trying is what makes the world go round!

MTB Moto
    dance1

7. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Beach, I'm not in any way trying to be judgmental but I'm curious about your motive for this experiment.

What was the reason for it? Were you having slipping problems or trying to increase roller diameter? My experience with friction drive is limited but from what I know and working with Dax, the roller needs to be darn tight against the tire to reduce the slipping. I've ridden Duane's bikes on wet streets and experienced no noticable slip. Having the roller tight does not seem to increase tire wear, in fact it reduces it because of the less slippage.

Tom

8. beach cruiser

beach cruiser Member

I now believe the problem has to do with the size of the engine. I purchased the XC-35 for my wife which is only 1.5 hp. and I'm pushing 220 lbs. of spuds around I went ahead and installed it on one of my other bikes to test it out and I found that I was actually doing more pedaling than than relaxing lol. On a perfectly flat road I'd only get up to 10 t0 12 miles an hr tops and that was with me pedaling/having the roller overly snug too. I plan on purchasing a Super Titan from Dax for my bike.