Panama Jack

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by scotto-, Aug 22, 2010.

1. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

:rolleyes:Stopped by wally-world today to see what junk might be worthy of motorizing (snicker) and came accross two unworthy candidates. One was a black aluminum framed beach cruiser with Op stickers on it for $98, pretty cheesy but it looked kinda cool....the other was a "Panama Jack" Huffy, a steel framed beach cruiser with an adjustable rear rack, drink holder and a bottle opener riveted to the right front fork leg. Snazzy? $150.

http://www.huffy.com/products/PanamaJack.aspx
    http://www.huffy.com/products/Product.aspx?pid=386|4|9

Kinda nice grips on the Huffy (fake wood foam), horrible grips on the Op. I did like the flat black frame on the Op....that's as far as that went. Cheap-n-cheesy....Walmart....roll-back my eyeballsrotfl:rolleyes:

#1 scotto-, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

There are currently two other members building a Panama Jack. Search the site for Panama Jack to see their posts. I do not recommend aluminum frames with gas motor kits.

3. scotto-

Yeah I've seen them and they look pretty good. As for aluminum frames for gas motor kits...I love them, no probs at all.

4. mr.WFO

mr.WFO New Member

i don't recomend the panama jack unless you wanna true the wheels.

my motor will 'twist' to the left throwing the chain, so i'm makeing some extra beefy motor mounts.
    the pedals hit the pipe, too. i'm building another, so it didn't bother me to slightly kink it to the inside.

i'm also rubber mounting the plastic 'woody panels' & fenders/chain guard. i even got mine on sale for $125. for a cruiser i'd have been much happier with a more expensive schwinn i was looking at. but, i'll tear this one apart & rebuild as a bmx eventually.

5. scotto-

Yes, agreed......the PJ Huffy is what it is....and I'm not sayin' cuz I don't want to offend anyone that may think different. But it does look kinda cool, donut?

6. BADBOOH

BADBOOH New Member

I agree Scotto! well made aluminum is great for motorized bicycle riding. My Trek Cruiser Classic has token plenty of abuse, and is still very solid. I am sure at some point she will give out, but after 1,000+ miles she still fills as steardy as the day I bought her, and would but her strength up against many of the steel cruisers. As far as welds, and frame strength, you get what you pay for. Just a heads up, the ride is September 5. Check for the add on craigslist, and soon on this form under events. Looking forward to seeing what your 4 stroke can do, never actually seen one in action.r.ly.

7. scotto-

I think you'll like it.....but you never know. It's not all that impressive, but it is a GAS! Let's ride!dance1

#7 scotto-, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  8. SAYNONOW

SAYNONOW New Member

Where's the pics guys?

9. scotto-

I've got no pics, as I don't own one but there are some on this site.....just search a little.

Here's without the engine:
    Panama Jack Cruisers - Huffy

10. Motorbike Wanabe

Motorbike Wanabe New Member

Crict' me if I'm wrong but, doesn't the Panama Jack now have much heavier spokes? I bought a Cranbrook last year and, if they had this bike out then, I probably could have saved in buying a rear wheel and possibly, a front wheel too (I wanted a drum brake).

I was just at Wally world looking at the bike and was telling my wife that if they had that bike when I bought mine, I would have got it for sure. It seems sturdier than the cranbrook ever was before swapping out the wheels. Just my .02.

11. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

12. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Attached Files:

13. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

One thing about the PJ is the rear rack vibrates bad and sounds horrible. We did add some rubber between the rack and that helped a little. If you slide your butt back and sit on the rack its nice and quite.

Every part of the fake wood vibrates like crazy when increasing rpms. And this is a very smooth running motor.

Here is the last photo I got of it before the fenders was mounted. My friend did have to cut the muffler and re-weld it so we would have clearance. It was just too far to bend.

Attached Files:

14. MRJOHN

MRJOHN New Member

i love the one i have

Attached Files:

15. scotto-

Panama Jack, front and center.......kinda.....sorta

[​IMG]

Is that you.....Panama Jack?

16. azdriver

azdriver New Member

Best part of that bike has to be the bottle opener on the right fork leg- classic! (for after the ride of course.....hehe)

17. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget New Member

18. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget New Member

How is eveyone's PJ holding up.
    Mine is doing fine. No problems with the bike at all.
    Hope eveyone's is doing just as good.

19. David D.

David D. New Member

They all look great! how wide are those rims? they look pretty nice.... and are the spokes the heavy ones like the cranbrook has?

20. Slowrollers

Slowrollers New Member

Got a hundred miles on mine ...I think...It is holding up great....best hundred and 50 bucks Ive spent on a bicycle.......