Opti 2 break in

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Reel Adventure, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Reel Adventure

Reel Adventure New Member

First I love the opti 2 stuff. I am on my 3rd gallon @ 85:1 and the bike runs great and actually idles and four strokes very little if any.

On my new build I want to break it in on Opti 2. What are your thoughts? Also what ratio would you reccomend?

2. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I think that even with those of us who have been using Opti-2, we are all newbies and kind of feeling our way along. According to the manufacturer you can go 100-1 from day one. I'm still unclear about break in vs just run it. There are lots of opinions, but no real consensus. I know, this is no help at all. I just don't know. I'm using the opti-2 at 100-1 on two engines, but using amsoil sabre professional at 50-1 for a new one I'm just breaking in. I had the Amsoil left over, so decided to use it since that's how I broke in one of those now on Opti-2.
    SB

3. Russell

Russell Active Member

Reel,
    I think many of us will be watching how you make out on 85:1 break in.

#3 Russell, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. bseelbach

bseelbach New Member

I'm running Opti 2 on one engine around 70:1. This engine was broke in using tradional 2 cycle at 18:1 for a gallon. I then switched to Opti at 100:1 for a gallon and got a bit...scared. I didn't see or hear signs of distress from the engine but I noticed the 1 gal pouch was 1.8oz = 71:1. I figured the manufacture felt no concern running a bit more oil and it offered me some more "security".

For another build I just finished, I'm breaking in with Opti 2 around 40:1. I'll just run a tank of that through and then switch to 70:1. So far its running quite good and I have put 50 or so miles on it. I can say that I can feel it breaking in quicker than my other engine. It is picking up speed rapidly. Plug looks fine and quite honestly all of the plug readings using Opti 2 at 100:1, 70:1 and 40:1 look almost similar.

5. Kevlarr

Kevlarr New Member

With the 24 oz bottle it's 1.3 oz on the little measuring chamber but there's about .3 oz left from the oil sticking to the side of the bottle when I pour it out.

6. bseelbach

bseelbach New Member

Their ratios aren't very consistent. 12 oz bottle is good for 10gal= 1.2oz/gal=100:1. 1 gallon pouch is 1.8oz for 1 gallon or 5 liters. @ 5 liters it's 100:1 but @ 1 gallon its 70:1.

7. Reel Adventure

Reel Adventure New Member

Thanks for the input.

I am not breaking in now on 85:1, that motor is already broken in.

I think I will break in the new on @ 40:1 then go up from there.

Good post on the .3 sticking to the package, I was thinking the same thing the other day.