Old Ducati

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Goat Herder, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Saw this and thought to share the video. This engine has a amazing sound to it when revved. A real jewel of a bike!
    Ducati cucciolo - Rapida - YouTube

Here is a language translation to English from the You Tube poster:

This is one of my classic. As you can see this engine equipped with a Ducati Cucciolo (Duca T50) 4-stroke 48cc and the frame was manufactured by Quick in Olhão (Portugal) in 1954 ... It has 1.5 HP with a consumption of 1 liter per 100 km, 2-speed manual gear selection and clutch bathed in oil .. easily reaches 40 km / h but not more .. is a genuine rarity since only 30 were built with this board and no equals since they were built the way the buyer and the engine he wanted. Restored by me four years.

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

cool bike !!!
    thanks for sharing a link to that beauty (^)

3. NunyaBidness

NunyaBidness Active Member

I have really liked Ducati for a long time now. Thanks for sharing that.

4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I want one. External rocker arms are awesome. Smallest fishtail exhaust I've ever seen.

5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Me like ALOT! :D

6. dmb

dmb Active Member

a short film worth a million word's... bravo! who have thought we could see this a few short years ago?

7. vincent713

vincent713 New Member

That bike is totally awesome! I love the light weight design through out the whole bike. That bike is one of a kind and is a treasure.

8. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Ooooooohhhhh! I like it. Very nice Italian job.

9. happyvalley

happyvalley New Member

The Ducati Cucciolo was a gem. I've read the history of MABs in the US and appreciate the early Popes, Indians and Harley Davidson's that came up from bicycles but I look at them as collectibles now. As soon as Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson got their chops together, they dropped bicycle frames and built a shop to make real motorcycles with dedicated frames, brakes, wheels and suspension, etc.

I've gotten more useful, real people, inspiration from the history of MABs in Europe, particularly after WWII. The Euros have long been able to keep things separate with a rich history in bicycles, motor assisted bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles. The Ducati's, Cyclemasters and VeloSolexes were kept as motor assist bicycles for almost a hundred years without blurring the lines or causing the authorities to worry much. I was reading recently the the French Postal Service once had a fleet of Velosolexes for local route delivery. They recognized the real value in appropriate technology: cost effective, lightweight, navigable on narrow streets, reliable and able to assist human productivity.