O-ring at carb intake?

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
Somewhere I read that a O-ring should go at the carb attachment to eliminate air leaks. I've got a Skyhawk and it has a rubber insert inside the carb area that attaches to the intake. Do I need an O-ring and if so where does it fit?

Rick in Indiana

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Somewhere I read that a O-ring should go at the carb attachment to eliminate air leaks. I've got a Skyhawk and it has a rubber insert inside the carb area that attaches to the intake. Do I need an O-ring and if so where does it fit?

Rick in Indiana
You don't need an O ring for the CNS carb that comes with the Skyhawk.

The O ring is needed for the NT style carbs and works well.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup, what he said. :)

but some goop smeared on the outside of the spicket where the clamp goes is NOT a bad idea, just in case...
Best
rc

jpowers

Jul 10, 2011
NY
That's what it means to have a low IQ :(

I was thinking how the heck can you roll an O-ring on the intake, then somehow get the carb on over that O-ring, lmao!

Ty.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
NOT your fault, JP.

It's a crummy design!
The carb MUST remain securely pressed up against the Oring wish is between it and the manifold end.

Excellent pic, by the way, Mike!

IMO, best to use some rtv goop on there AND smear some on the outside after tightening up. NOT a lot, huge amount.. just some, to assure the seal if it does loosen up a bit.

AND, if you over-tighten, it is possible to mal-form the petals of the carb and even break them... IMO, a bit of rtv goop is the better option.

Best
rc

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
any suggestions on where to buy these other than from that guy.. i mean like mass quantities? because every single week i have to pull it and use a needle to clear it its becomeing crazy and expensive.. any suggestions on how to stop that tiny jet from clogging?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i think its something coming from your gas tank,locutus.
if you put sealant on the float bowl,thats where its coming from.
i sincerely doubt the sealant could be making it into your jet,as the flow of air and fuel just dont make it possible.
my fuel filter picked up lots of junk from the new gas tank,even after i flushed it with gas.the tank strainer didnt really stop much,i guess the screen is a little too coarse.

i didnt put any sealant on my o-ring.i greased it.
i use an o-ring i took out of my o-ring kit,is has about 20 different sizes.
gas and oil resistant.
i would need to go look,but i think its a #212.the can be obtained from most parts stores for pennies apiece.
my ok311 o ring kit was maybe 15 dollars.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As Rustycase has already pointed out, just installing an 'O' ring will not assure a good air tight seal. It must be compressed tightly between the carburetor and intake manifold. Check the label of any sealant you plan to use. Most silicone based sealers are not compatible with gasoline. You need to read the label before using it. Gas will eventually attack and soften most silicone based gasket sealers causing it to turn to goo and allowing air to pass.

Tom

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
90% of your standard orings can hold up against oil, tranny oil, hydrolic oil and gas.. specialy ones like green ones are for ac which are the best ones since its a mix of gas oil etc freezing and heating up there made for it then theres the brown ones made for high heat applications.. standard orings will do.. just today they arell all made in china and are crap deteriate over a couple months

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A better idea is to buy a shorty manifold from Pirate Cycle. They already come with a o-ring.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Sergey

Oct 22, 2018
@ mtaylor325 they sell them at SickBikeParts.com
Comes in a pack of 3 o-rings