Noob in SoCal

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Hey guys,

Glad to have discovered the world of motorized bicycles. I'm considering putting one together to save huge on gas on my commute to work. Right now, I'm looking at a Grubee GT4 Starfire 66cc engine. Are they any good? I'm looking for some dependability as I will probably be using it as a daily commuter (5-15 miles one way). Any recommendations? Glad to be here! Looking forward to this project :)

Currently looking for a 60-70's Schwinn Tiger or Jaguar. . . I think I'm going to go for that board track look.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum, Frickard! Always happy to see more SoCal people here!

I've been using MaB to commute for the last 6 years (bicycle since the '80's) and would opine that a 4-stroke with Q-Matic would be the best possible commuting machine. Does it's best work at 18+. 4-stroke means less fuel, oil, and overall trouble. They tend to be more reliable, as the engines in 4-stroke builds are of industrial/near industrial quality.

I spent over 5 years on 2-stroke commuting 12.5 miles each way. 2-stroke as a commuter of that distance means more fuel, oil, and tinkering (and of course, outright power!). Much cheaper to get started that way, but costs more in the long term.