Newbie here

GoldenMotor.com

Jruck

Apr 1, 2012
Arkansas
Well Im a Newbie when it comes to Motorized Bicycles. used to motorcycles. Im wanting a good reliable engine to run in a Beach cruiser style frame. Would like suggestions on what i should get. and do to make it run nice. I will be only Riding it to and from work. most of the road is Flat. then down hill then back to flat to work. After work at between 2am and 4am will be flat then uphill for a small incline then mainly flat. Would like to be able to get bout 40-45mph . 35mph is on some of our roads here. but still would like to get atleast 40. really want reliability so mainly looking for a 4 stroke.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Jruck, welcome.

Given that you will be riding in the dark and the speeds you want, a scooter might be better suited. I in no way mean to dissuade you. MBs are a blast but as yet do not have adequate intrinsic lighting and even 40 MPH on a stock bicycle is pushing it most especially on a dark road. Sand, potholes, glass can all make for a real bad day that night.

Just my thinking and don't want ya to have trouble commuting and certainly don't want see ya hurt.

But can be done. Post lots of pics on what ever you decide and again, welcome.

Jruck

Apr 1, 2012
Arkansas
All roads i will be riding on are well lit roads. plus i plan on adding a small generator and such to run head lights and tail lights .

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard J,

We've got a Speed thread going now, near the top of the heap.
How fast does your bike go???
You might review that thread and see what riders are doing, with which combination.
And I would agree with everything Dan just said.

AND, bicycle brakes are really not up to sustained braking from the speeds you would like to travel at. IMO...

Good luck
rc

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

A Honda GXH 50 engine using a Staton 16.07:1 gearbox and crank drive system will give you the speeds you're looking for. Use a good mountain bike with front and seat post suspension with disk brakes.

Gearing: 22 T gear on gearbox to 44 T on the crank drive; crank gears 28 T, 34 T and 42 T; rear wheel gears 28-13 seven speed freewheel or cassette. This is how I would group the gears: uphill Crank 1 (28 T), wheel 1 (28 T), 2 (25 T) and 3 (22 T). Level ground: C 2 (34 T), W 3 (22 T), 4 (19 T) and 5 (17 T). Downhill C 3 (42 T), W 5 (17 T), 6 (15 T) and 7 (13 T). Uphill C1: W 1,2,3. Level ground C2: W 3,4,5. Downhill C3: W 3,2,1.

My bike auto shifts the gears on the wheel but you can use a similar setup. You can view my album by logging on to my profile. A tachometer will help with the shifting.

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

Jruck

Apr 1, 2012
Arkansas
1( flat roads. well lit at night. 1 hill speed limits 35 mph)
2 i weigh 150. 5'8 so im pretty skinny
3 local laws allow for a 50cc.( moped) but undetermined as it is common to see a riding lawnmower doing 55 down the road where i live) but i do plan on using it at the dirt track to have some fun.
4 bike is unsure. wanting a beachcruiser style bike. gotta find one that is full steel frame ( beachcruiser style to give it that old motorcycle look)
5 driving to and from work and to the local grocery store for acouple items. grocery store is less than a mile .
6 dont really have a budget. at the end of the month after all bills paid i have roughly 1000 to play with each month.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
J, you might look at the Schwinn cruiser bike series. The ones with linear pull front and rear brakes, a decent seat, and shifter gears.

I have a Schwinn Southport, and am pleased with the strength of the frame.
Improvements can be made to it easily, for motorized bicycle use.

Good luck
rc

Jruck

Apr 1, 2012
Arkansas
Thanks rusty. do you think a 79 or 99 predator would fit in this style bike? anyone know what kind of gearbox would be needed to use it?