newbee w/a Q

GoldenMotor.com

gothedistance

Apr 15, 2012
Rochester, NH
I have a Staton-inc axle-mounted kit (49cc 2-stroke Robin/Subaru) on my hard-tail mountain bike and I'd like to find out specific info from those w/1st hand experience crossing the U.S. on a motorized bicycle. How much does such a trip cost at minimum, how long does it take at minimum, etc.? I'd likely travel from Portland, Maine to Portland, Washington on side roads. My motorized bicycle is already registered in NH as a moped (with a NH state police issued VIN and a NH DMV moped plate). Is such a round trip do-able in 3 months or less? If money and time were no object, my main concern would be rain, as my clutch slips in steady rain. Even if the rain is light, the clutch will slip if the rain is steady. Someone suggested using a semi-metalic clutch to prevent such clutch slip, but David Staton, owner of Staton-inc, told me that's a no-no. Shall his no-no be final answer? How shall I turn a no-no into a go-go?
usflg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

That would be an epic journey!
Be sure to take a laptop along and document the voyage.

Friction material of the clutch should not make significant difference, as it will be fully engaged most the time. I think the bearing version of the MT clutch would be beneficial, if your rig can use that clutch.

Wow! what an adventure!
Plan very well, or be very flexible. :)

I would suspect you would average 15mph overall.
Good luck
rc

gothedistance

Apr 15, 2012
Rochester, NH
Thank you, rustycase, for your reply. If I do go I probably won't take a laptop as I don't already own one and I would want to keep my costs down. I would, however, take many photos and notes and perhaps later write a book. You mentioned a "bearing version of the MT clutch". What is that? I'm still relatively new to this, so please explain. All I know is that my current clutch, which came with the Robin/Subaru engine (a 4-stroke, not a 2-stroke--my mistake) slips 2-3 seconds for every 20-30 seconds of throttle-wide-open in steady rain, even if the rain is light. Also, my engine came attached to the Staton-inc gear box and I have no idea how I would detach it from the gearbox in order to gain access to the clutch. Any ideas? David Staton is not easy to speak with over the phone, and he kind of expects his customers to figure it out on their own more or less. Does anyone out there own a Staton-inc axle mounted kit who also has experience removing the engine from the gearbox?
:-||

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Cost... depends on if your willing to camp in a hidden spot on the side of the road or a hotel. If your willing to cook your own food or eat at red lobster every night. People just pedaling can do it in around 45-60 days average mileage 80 miles per day.

Good website for bicycle touring is WWW.crazyguyonabike.com

better do your research

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Man that sounds like a trip,,,, I don't have any info on what you want but one time I asked a simular question but this was to travel from Chicago to La. on route 66 whats left of it and I got answers like 20 days taking in all the sites But that was on a Harley,,,,thats an adventure your thinking about hope you do it!!!!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Although my son made a trip that took him 11 days (had a layover in 2 different towns due to weather). He peddled (no engine) from Orlando Florida to Lawrenceville Georgia (about 60 miles north of Atlanta) let's call it 460+ miles. Carried with him everything he owned and was followed by a friend (happened to be a girl). He would pull over on a sparse populated road, lay the bikes off the road and pitch a tent. Take showers at truck stops, and eat the cheapest he could...no fast food. Approx $7.00 per day each. He left Orlando with $100.00, and I had to send him another $50.00 to Macon GA. and had money left...not much tho.

Your trip.... 3,200 miles 20MPH, 8hrs/day (160 miles/day) no staying other then a overnight sleep....20 days. I'd say taking in other factors, about 30 days (weather and a layover every couple of days). Food, I know I could do it on $7.00/day, bath in lakes/rivers and truck stops, camping on the road side and gas at 80MPG $200 for fuel. This I figure the minimum not counting repairs to engine or bike. $500.00

When off the road at night, no driver driving by will see you, unless the land is baron. Use a tent that is easily to erect at night (minimum nite lights). You will find places that there won't be or will lack for cover.

If you are not in a hurry, you could pick up a day job every so often.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've got a Staton Inc crank drive kit on my bike. The RS engine is a 4 stroke 33 cc not 49 cc. I use the 18.75:1 gearbox. My advice to you is do what David says and leave well enough alone. It's not good to expose your engine to water. If you must ride in the rain cut your engine off cover it and the gearbox then peddle till the rain stops.