New Texas Member

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CajunJamie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. CajunJamie

CajunJamie New Member

Hi,
    I am brand new to this forum and have been doing some reading. I want to do my first build in a couple weeks, so I have spent the last two days looking at what bike and what kit. I saw a build with an engine from Zoom Bicycle, but they are out of stock. I went to ThatsDax.com, but I do not see a 66/80cc engine/tank in black.

Here is what I am looking at. $149 + $20 to ship to Texas.

Any thoughts on this? I am a hobbyist who wants a dependable black kit, and I understand if it comes from China it's not a Honda or Subaru.

Thanks!
    Jamie

#1 CajunJamie, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
  2. CajunJamie

CajunJamie New Member

Hi all,
    Tom asked me to give a little background on myself and told me I can not yet post links to reduce spam, so that is ok.

What got me interested in a build was a couple days ago I was trying to decide on an affordable cruiser, bike only. I like a Huffy Karaoke I saw, white and orange trim. However, the image that I saw had a motor mounted on the bike. At first I ignored it, then it got my attention. I was recently given a Razor scooter (I am 39 years old) that was wrecked and I was going to replace the throttle and control unit and use it for my 2-block commute to work. (I live in a very small east Texas university town - 6,000 people.)

Instead I decided to delay the scooter project and do the motor-bicycle project. The project I saw with the Karaoke was from this forum, by Foeller32 and his thread is "Latest Build - Huffy Karaoke Cruiser"

I followed his model, but his supplier is out of the kit until March or April, DAX only shows a silver engine, and so I really would like a recommendation on an 80cc slant black kit for under $200 shipped. I saw a Grubee kit, but would like feedback on them (or anyone else for that matter) before buying.

Thanks!
    Jamie

3. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

You can always paint the silver engine black... just use high heat engine paint. Or, I'd recommend Pirate Cycle as a good outfit. They know their stuff, stand behind their products and have great customer service. The engine i got from them is my fastest 2 stroke.
    SB

4. CajunJamie

CajunJamie New Member

Thanks!
    I went to Pirate Cycles and looked at the "New 2010 Grubee GT5" kit. When I read the specs and got to the last one, I laughed:

26. Bogus 6 month factory warranty included

Still looks good, though.

:)

jamie

5. 210Don

210Don New Member

Welcome to the forum, What part of texas r u from Jamie?

6. CajunJamie

CajunJamie New Member

Hey thanks. I am originally from South Louisiana but have lived the last 5 years in Commerce, Texas - off I-30 about an hour northeast of Dallas.

7. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I was referring to the PK-80 2 stroke. I have no experience with the Grubee engine.
    SB

8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your first build.