New member new bike kit old bike

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by old motorbike, Sep 22, 2008.

1. old motorbike

old motorbike New Member

Hi all,
    I just wanted to say this is all new to me. Although I'm a motorcycle mechanic/painter. I had an old bike sitting around and found these kits on line that were affordable. So I put one together last week.
    My truck gets 9 mph, My motorcycle gets 38 mpg, And this gets ??? but I use a combo of the motorcycle and bike to go to work.
    I'm semi retired and broke and only work 3 days a week so this is a great rider and fun also. (plus a lot cheaper than the motorcycle)
    [​IMG]
    I added a crude choke cable
    [​IMG]
    Made my own strong tensioner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A really crude choke lever

I tried to make smaller pics, but I'm not familiar with photobucket
    I just wanted to get it running to use it. It'll take a lot of tinkering when I'm not playing with the motorcycle.

2. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice ride (^)

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

For pictures in the future, just scroll down after you click the "reply" sprocket, and then click "manage attatchments" and load you pics that way.

BTW- I like the addition of the choke cable and the mucho-industrial tensioner...now replace the original wheel with a skateboard wheel and it will be indestructable.

4. deacon

deacon minor bike philosopher

Now that tensioner just might work correctly

5. amealnet

amealnet New Member

hi old biker, iam buying a kit for my bike any suggestions for installation i should look for?

6. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Sweet, great innovating. Choke was a nice touch. Is the tensioner spring loaded?

7. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Nice, looks like a good solid "install". Great looking chain tensioner, that chain may be the most dangerous mechanical element on these things, looks like you made it WAYYyyyyyyyyy better.. I like that the engine fits the frame exactly as intended without jury rigging the mounts.... enjoy the ride..

8. old motorbike

old motorbike New Member

No it's not spring loaded, but that's a great idea.

9. old motorbike

old motorbike New Member

All these kits looked about the same to me and seemed to be updated about the same. I just looked for the least expensive.
    I can see there are different ones: 4 cycle, rear mount, etc. but all those cost much more.
    Not knowing anything about these, I was lucky that they engineered the mounting and the sprocket so the pedals clear the engine and the chain lines up.

10. old motorbike

old motorbike New Member

Thanks, I needed to twist the engine forward a little to clear my front derailer and was ready to make a new front mount, but it just fit.
    I needed to come up with a better tensioner as the frame leg was just too small to hold the kit one. I might make a nicer one when I have the time and ambition.