New guy, interested in building a motor bicycle, few questions...

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by BlackReef, May 19, 2010.

1. BlackReef

BlackReef New Member

Hello,

I went to visit a buddy up north, and he had a beach cruiser bicycle that had a 2-stroke 80cc motor installed on it, had a blast riding that thing around town lol.

I have never heard of these engine 'kits' before, and now I am hooked and have been reading these forums for the past couple of days.

What I want to do is find a beach cruiser bicycle that has that chopper look to it, with the raked forks, low seat, etc. - but something that is smooth and comfortable. So I guess a bike like this is the first thing I need to find.

Next, I need to do my research and find a good engine kit. I was wondering if there are kits out there that have more HP than the one I rode? The one I rode was pretty gutless, maybe a couple of HP. I'm 6'3 260 lbs so if I'd really like to find some sort of engine kit that has a few more HP than the other bikes. I understand the kit may cost a few hundred dollars, if not more...I just want to get something that moves pretty good. 2-stroke or 4-stroke, doesn't really matter to me.

Also - I'd like to give it a custom American Flag paint job after it's built, Easy Rider style lol

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm in Oceanside, CA.

2. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

Well First order of business. Welcome to our world and the forum. You have definitely come to the right place for answers. As far as bikes go I would suggest the Schwinn Delmar Cruiser It is an excellent bike for the price. and the 80cc. 2 stroke fits perfectly with no modification. I stand almost 6' and weigh 300 lbs and mine goes about 30 mph. and I ride it daily. I also have a Mountain Bike I made for my first build also a 80cc 2stroke. which you can order from any of the shops you see on either side of this post.
    <<<<<<<-------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>

Good luck and Welcome once again.

3. BlackReef

BlackReef New Member

Hey Dag,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was thinking of a bike like this:
    EDIT: I guess I can't post links yet. The bike is a "Prado Deluxe 24" Chopper Cruiser Bike"

You guys think a 80cc motor kit would mount just fine on a bike like this?

4. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Blackreef,
    Yes you can put an engine on the chopper bike you listed, but it is much easier to put an engine on a 26" Cruiser or Mountain bike, unless you have plenty of tools and a fair amount of experience in mechanicing and fabricating, I say this because you would have to build a mounting system from scratch for that chopper bike, dont get me wrong here, that would make a very cool ride but would not be a good project for anyone that does not have good metal working tools and skills, you would also need to put around a 36 or 38 Tooth sprocket on the 24" wheel in order to get the same speed range you would get out of the 41 or 44 Tooth on a 26" wheel, so if you have the tools and the skill to make the mounts I say go for it, if not get you a good cruiser (Schwinn Delmar Cruiser) like Dag mentioned , it may also need a little fabrication for the front mount but will be much easier than the 24" chopper bike to set up. hope this helps and hope you end up with a wicked good ride.....!

scratg.

5. dag_29307

dag_29307 New Member

I don't know that much about chopper builds but if it helps you print this out. It helped me a lot in figuring which bike to go with as I don't have very many fabrication tools or even a garage to work in. It will at least give you something to use as a reference to where you should start. It is for the 49cc but the only size difference is in the Jug the rest is the same.

Attached Files:

6. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

So much depends on budget and while I'd defo recommend building yer first with the simple & inexpensive "80cc" (66cc) Chinese engine kit - if your looking for lots more power yet keeping the nice tidy look of a two-smoker, you could check out the Franco Morini Engines.

The build is more of a challenge as it's not a kit and ofc they've got a bit more of a price tag, but they're the most powerful engines available as far as I know, something to keep in mind anyway ;)

Welcome to the addiction heh :D