New build gasket questions

GoldenMotor.com

jimbob

Mar 3, 2009
Illinios
Still waiting on shipping from Canada Zoombicycles. I have spent countless hours on our forum here and with the knowledgable people here, I believe I now know most of the trick, secrets, to check every pc. of the kit, carb, clutch magneto etc.etc. Yes I purchased two different thicknes of gasket paper and will be tracing gaskets to cut out for spares before any assembly. My big question here is I would also like to make cyclinder base gaskets, but I will need to pull the cyl. off. Will this tear up my original gasket? I defeat the purpose if it does, but my thought is the motor has not been run yet that the gasket may come out intact? Where is a good place to buy allum. so I can also maake spare heaad gaaskets? Thanks Jim

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
hi jim bob,

its most likely that it will tear up the base gasket if you just pull off the cylinder, but if your careful its possible.

you dont have to have the original in tact to make a new gasket, you can take a piece of cardboard and place it on the surface and tap an impression into it and then trace that.

good luck

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i am using the stock gaskets,i only replace them if there bad or easy to get to,but the only one i see i need to replace is the pull start(left cover,theres a gap even with the gasket,theres no gas or oil in there,but i dont want my electronics to get wet,i have tape around the gap but will seal gasket with gasket maker.plus i use gasketmaker or teflon tape on gastank petcock,carb to intake,throttle to intake.but if you want to replace stuff on the engine,its better to do it before you put gas in it and run it,because it will be more messier if you wait til after.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Why are you replacing new gaskets? Granted some of the intake manifold gaskets I've seen are a bit thin and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a replacemnt on hand but as far as head and cylinder to case gaskets, just torque the head bolts after the engine has reached operating temperature the first time and you should be good to go. Don't let some of the opinions you read here scare you into unnessessary work. The stock gaskets, for the most part will suffice and do not require replacement unless an engine tear-down becomes necessary. Also, don't overtighten those fasteners, any of them. Yes, check your nuts and bolts periodically but do not subscribe to that, tighten-everytime-you-ride theory. That's how and why so many guys have problems with broken fasteners. They tighten them too much and too often. When it comes to the carb to intake, use a good grade of silicone gasket sealer only. Do not install and 'O' ring or gasket between the carb and intake, and don't overtighten the carb clamp. Hope this helps you out.
Tom

Last edited: