My VERY useful Chain Tensioner MOD!

GoldenMotor.com

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
OK, so, with a spring loaded chain tensioner, the problem is when starting, the TOP end of the chain can go too slack, and bind/lock the wheel.

Well, I added an UPWARD, spring tensioner to it, and now...no problem.

Whether on start up, or at speed, when going slower, downhill, it keeps the TOP side of the chain alligned/tight.

The upward, spring-loaded tensioner handles lateral movement, AND tension, soooo.. no chain slip/lock. It works WITH the downward motion of startup, and pushes UP on the topside chain to keep it tight/alligned!

NICE!

Working good so far....

Happy riding!

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sorry for the tease folks. Couldn't get the pics up last night.

I bought a Spring Loaded tensioner online, and then added my own vertical mod.

Pretty simple, but it actually works great.

~Chris

usflg

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
hey are chain tensioners even necessary? im running a little 32 tooth sprocket in the rear and there is no slack and it doesnt touch the frame, i dont run a chain tensioner can problems become if i dont?

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I don't run a tensioner. As long as you have no clearance issues, alignment issues, and your tension is good, by all means ditch the tensioner. It is useful for guiding the chain on that long haul back to the sprocket though.

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
I found my particular design to virtually eliminate the possibility of mis-alignment upon re-entry on the top side of the drive sprocket, but even better, it reduces almost all slack/tight on the revolution of the chain, on the top side, preventing any possibility of chain binding into the drive sprocket.

Finally, all 'slapping'/ lateral movement is eliminated when jumping off curbs or over rougher terrain.

Just my two cents.

I know I'm sacrificing some on the smoothness/efficiency/power, but I like the piece of mind.

:)

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I do like that it eliminates much of the "slapping". That actually would probably increase efficiency right there. I'd honestly try something like your setup, but I already worked so darn hard getting it working without any tensioner =P