my morini build

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
This is my first morini build aka prototype A, now this bike is far from being finished and perfected, i still have some problems such neding wide cranks to clear the motor, i need to introduce some sort of rubber in those mounts as it hurts to ride this thing, need a adapter for the rear peddle drive sprocket, and much much more. Now i want to thank everyone on this forum that has helped me and i hope to have this bike in tip top shape by half way threw next summer (getting put away for winter as its almost to cold to ride it now here in Brampton).

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Looks good Spit Fire! I like the style of pipe your using. I had the same problem with my GT LTS build. The cranks were hitting the case of the motor. I ended up getting an extra wide crank hub. Shimano makes them. If you do use them, make sure to loctite the bolts that holds the crank arms to the hub.
Keep us posted

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
Hey thanks everyone, it was a little bit challanging to mount the engine (vs the china girl) but defenetly not rocket science, now im gonna try to wrap the bike frame with some rubber right where all the exhaust clamps sit on the frame, if anyones got any ideas as to what i can use please let me know. Im currently upset with my morini as my 2 shoe clutch just snapped in half, ive red it is common with these engines, can anyone tell me where i can purchase the 3 shoe clutch everone is upgrading to?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Hey thanks everyone, it was a little bit challanging to mount the engine (vs the china girl) but defenetly not rocket science, now im gonna try to wrap the bike frame with some rubber right where all the exhaust clamps sit on the frame, if anyones got any ideas as to what i can use please let me know. Im currently upset with my morini as my 2 shoe clutch just snapped in half, ive red it is common with these engines, can anyone tell me where i can purchase the 3 shoe clutch everone is upgrading to?
Morini Franco USA This will be your best bet. I think Herdan is out of complete clutches right now. They are waiting on Italy.. I know they are out of the bell as I just ordered another motor and thought to have some spare parts.. I got two air cooled and two L/C now from Herdan and SCSW..

The 3 shoe uses a different bell than the 2 shoe. Adjusting this clutch should be the same washer stack as the other 3 shoe variations I think in this design. I believe that Morini USA's grippa is the currant new model replacement clutch? Dunno?

Don't over tighten your three bolts when adjusting your washer stacks. This could lead to snapping a bolt later. Use locktite and torque no more than 8 foot pounds on the three bolts and about 20 on the crank nut. Mark the orientation of the shoes so's not to flip one over. Dunno? But I think it matters seams to make sense to me. Wear orientation might be directional after break in and you mebbe want to adjust the stall?

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
hey goat, thnx for the quick response, do you have a number i can contact Herdan, and how much you think one of those clutch sets costs, im so upset at this while situation. and now it seems the part of the clutch dug a little into the cover and i got fillings everywhere, i was going to use some break cleaner to blast everything out, you thinks its a good idea or do you suggest another method of cleaning up this mess? also how do you seggest i hold the hub from spinning in order to get the reverse nut off, i read about some place where you can stick a little screwdriver to keep it stationary but i couldnt find it, also is the gasket for the cover reusable, it seems fine im just not sure if i should re use it, and all i got to say and im sure everyone that is running a morini will agree is WOW these parts are crayze expensive i cant believe that the clutch for my bicycle is more expensive than the clutch for my car :(

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
Goat im running a 50 tooth sprocket wich seems to be doing the trick for me at the moment! I was going to go with a smaller sprocket to try to achieve 100km/h, but i scraped that idea as its pretty pointless besides braging rights im confident as long as i still get into the pipe it will have no problem but i sacrafice alot of low end grunt all for what...
Its currently doing 80 km\h (according to my buddies in theyre cars) and its sure plenty fast for me! i must say im very impressed with the performance of these engines i defenetly underestimated them

Last edited:

Smorkmo

Apr 5, 2010
Boise, Idaho
So I was just doing some reading online as I am interested in these Morini motors and I read that pretty much every body is out of stock with these motors because they're no longer in production.. Is this true? If it isn't can someone please direct me to a site that isn't out of stock of the 11.3 hp liquid cooled motor? Thanks

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
u know what that is a good question, i have herd the same which kind of worries me as its going to be harder to find parts for my baby, now unfortunetly i cant help you as i bought my engine off someone on this forum it was bearly use although still expensive but ill tell you its worth every penny, if you do end up building one with the s6c please keep me informed as i would love to see that happen that is a engine that had my thoughts pondering for a while now!

Smorkmo

Apr 5, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Thanks Spit Fire for your input, Greatly appreciated. I'd love to get my hands on the biggest one available, either that or I may just mod a different engine. I'm already doing 45mph with a 66cc china girl I portmatched, tuned pipe, ect.. I'm running a 32t sprocket in the rear and when I really push on the pedals I can accellerate nearly as fast as most people from a stop light. I do however have the advantage of living on the Duck Valley Indian Reservation in Owyhee, Nevada which is a soverign nation, right accross the street from the Federal police station haha. I know all of them personally by first name and I've never had a problem riding on the streets anywhere here.
One thing that I have noticed is that elevation has a lot to do with the performance of even these china girl engines. I seem to have a lot more torque in Boise at 3500 ft than here in Owynee at 5400 ft. I compensate by pedaling harder haha

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Thanks Spit Fire for your input, Greatly appreciated. I'd love to get my hands on the biggest one available, either that or I may just mod a different engine. I'm already doing 45mph with a 66cc china girl I portmatched, tuned pipe, ect.. I'm running a 32t sprocket in the rear and when I really push on the pedals I can accellerate nearly as fast as most people from a stop light. I do however have the advantage of living on the Duck Valley Indian Reservation in Owyhee, Nevada which is a soverign nation, right accross the street from the Federal police station haha. I know all of them personally by first name and I've never had a problem riding on the streets anywhere here.
One thing that I have noticed is that elevation has a lot to do with the performance of even these china girl engines. I seem to have a lot more torque in Boise at 3500 ft than here in Owynee at 5400 ft. I compensate by pedaling harder haha
I used to be able to hit 45mph going down hill with a china (that is before it siezed up) then my replacement destroyed itself just after that. After that I realized that I needed to go a different route since reliability is my number 1 concern.

My research led me to the S6S since I wanted the 10x more reliable 3 shoe clutch and and wanted the simplicity of an air cooled motor and no having to worry about radiators, water pumps coolant etc (not that there is anything wrong with that, my favorite Porsche is still the air cooled versions). Im very pleased with the Italian overall the power is unreal for only having 50cc. Now i can do 45mph going up a hill. My bike actually beats my 80cc Honda Elite to 55mph in a drag race. Added plus is the amazing fury of sound that the Morini floods the air with, combined with kick starting action leads to a lot of funny looks from people.

There must be a source for these awesome motors, isnt KTM still using these on the 50cc dirt bikes?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i could be wrong but i think after the s-5gs they use their own motor, both the air and water cooled look a little different than the s-6t and c. i tried looking on line for stand alone motors with no luck and no hp ratings. same thing on the cobra motors.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Boise is at 2800'. I know this because I fly rockets and waivers are cased from sealevel so any altitude is sealevel + altitude - elevation = how high above ground level for a legal flight. 2600 feet at this altitude makes a big difference on oxygen levels.

Just wanted to add that Morini motors came on many pitbikes, Apirila, Italijet, Cobra, KTM, LEM, 3 or 4 other Italian bikes, Spanish, French, you get the idea. Finding one is a matter of educating yourself as to where and what is avalible.

Last edited: