My first 4 stroke (or How I Learned to Stop Tinkering and Love Simplicity)

GoldenMotor.com

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I am abandoning my 2 strokes in favor of a 4 stroke. I just ordered a Honda GX35 with a Staton Friction Drive kit. After much research I have come to the conclusion that this will be a nice daily driver for me. I plan to put it on my Micargi Rover (replacing my 2 stroke China girl). It won't look as cool, but I think that ultimately it will perform like I want it to. The good news is, I already have a great one gallon tank on the bike that will extend my travel range.

The engine and FD kit is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday (July 17). I will take the next few days to remove the old engine off my bike and get it ready for the new one.

I have a couple concerns that I'm sure I will easily overcome:
1) I hope to abandon the small plastic throttle lever and use the throttle hand grip that is on my bike currently.
2) I currently have a lay back seat post that I am concerned may get in the way of the installation. If so, I'll go back to my normal seat post until I can work something else out.

I'm very excited! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for reading,
CGGB
cvlt1

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I also like the sound of a 2 stroke, but usually only on a dirt bike. The worst are the leaf blowers and the weed wackers. Bicycles fall somewhere in between. Not having to premix gas is also a plus. I have never ridden a 2 stroke china girl. I have a 49cc in frame 4 stroke. Let me know what you think of the power differences of the two. Thanks

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
My Staton Friction Drive arrived today (just four days after I ordered it; and I only paid for standard shipping). I was so excited when I got home and saw the box. I opened it up and saw my beautiful new Honda 4 stroke (GX35), it was already mounted onto the Staton Friction Drive frame with the throttle attached as well. This meant much less time needed for installation. The bracket that attaches to the rear fork needed a little modification to fit my bike. After some grinding it went on nicely. It was all downhill from there. After the drive unit was on I just had to install the kill switch and throttle lever. Then I took her out and put gas and oil in her and took her for a ride!!!

She handles beautifully. The Honda 4 stroke is nice and quiet and purrs like a kitten. I took her around the neighborhood and up our big hill. The 1" drive roller did pretty great on the hill.

Then I took her home and installed a speedometer/odometer and a tachometer/hour meter on her and took her out again.

I am impressed with the quality of Staton's products and I will definitely do business with them again.

I'll keep you posted on the progress of breaking the engine in.

Thanks for reading,
CGGB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Green. Is great to read happy.

The not mixing thing really is nice.

Things I really like about FDs, the engine noise and vibes are behind you and it really does revert to a regular bicycle when needed. No wide pedals. As mentioned the more soothing sound of a 4 stroke. I enjoy the sounds of both the 2 and 4 smoke but my neighbors prefer the 4, lol.

I also really like the rack mount look. Has a kinda a "Tinker'er built" look. Always wanted to put one of those spinning attic fan things on one to really give em a tinker's/steampunk look. https://www.google.com/search?q=att...6g8gTioojgBw&ved=0CDkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=499 (they make really small ones)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh wanted to ask Green, could you post your MPG when she is broken in?

Dunno about the 35 but my GX50 docs said there was no break in period. I couldn't wrap my head around that and still took it really easy for the first 20 hrs any way.

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I am interested in the MPG too. I plan to track that closely. I don't know a whole lot about the break in period. I'm just gonna take it easy, not ride it for super long rides at first and see how that does. I figure I'll throw in some full throttle every now and then to give it some variety for the break in time. Anybody have any better insight into it?

Thanks for reading,
CGGB

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
I made an awesome improvment to my bike. I connected my one gallon gas tank to the integral tank on the Honda GX35. I was really concerned at first because I didn't think that it would drain down to the smaller tank, and while sitting still it doesn't drain down at all. But while the engine is running it sucks the gas back to the smaller tank. So I now have a much greater range!

I've done several small rides since then and it performs great. I even had one ride right after a rain and it didn't seem to slip at all (after I adjusted the tension of the roller to the wheel). So far I have 2.4 hours and 37 miles on it.

Last edited:

Greengabbard

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis
Marry the tanks; I like that phrase! I simply used 1/4" fuel line, a fuel shut off valve and a fuel filter in between the tanks. On the Honda tank I drilled a hole and screwed in a 90° fitting with some oil and fuel resistant sealer/adhesive to keep it all gas tight. In the end it looks really nice and works very well. I will post some pics soon.

lifer

Feb 27, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Marry the tanks; I like that phrase! I simply used 1/4" fuel line, a fuel shut off valve and a fuel filter in between the tanks. On the Honda tank I drilled a hole and screwed in a 90° fitting with some oil and fuel resistant sealer/adhesive to keep it all gas tight. In the end it looks really nice and works very well. I will post some pics soon.
Do you have any pics of your gas tank setup yet? Would really like to see it, thanks

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
I plan to put it on my Micargi Rover (replacing my 2 stroke China girl). It won't look as cool...
Removing the top cover and exposing the motor helps with aesthetics, as well as removing the label from the starter. In addition, removing the stock gas tank and replacing it with a Sportster tank or a tank of similar style can help as well, as can replacing the stock muffler with a straightpipe going to the back. Actually, stripping the motor down to just the block, using a custom gas tank and exhaust, and exposing the block, can make the GX35 look on-par with a 2-stroke aesthetically.

A stripped GX35 should look similar to this on the frame.

Stripped GX35 with the recoil starter, and what I believe is EFI, although it hasn't been straightpiped and still uses the stock muffler.

Last edited: