Mounting a Chain Tensioner

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Xiodinc, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Xiodinc

Xiodinc New Member

And getting it to stay in place! What do you guys do with the stock tensioner to get it in place?

I was thinking some drilling and self tapping screws.

2. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i've never had mine move yet.

they stay just fine in the garbage can...;)

sorry, can't help you. just messin' around.

3. Ulysys

Ulysys New Member

I've seen a few bikes that have a screw through the tensioner bracket and chainstay tube, and it seems like it would be fine. I would jsut make sure it wasn't too big of a screw so you don't compromise the strength of the chainstay.

I don't suggest doing what I did with my bike by accident, which was tightening the bracket so much that I pinched the chainstay tube :). It worked and the bike still seemed sturdy enough, but don't do it :).

4. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Not to discourage discussion but as the dreaded tensioner and it's mount is somewhat of a safety issue - I hearty suggest checking out the link posted above.

Drilling holes and self-tapping screws a valid solution and used successfully by some - it, like all "suggestions" in that thread depends heavily on the bike in question. Depending on the gauge fastener used it could compromise the integrity of the chainstay - I'd not be comfortable doing that to my aluminum build for example.

5. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

LOL Ulysys. I have done that and worse. Reshaped a down tube with a mallet, relocated a muffler to clear the crank with steel toed boots an' many more. Some times ya really do just need a bigger hammer.

...But don't do it! snork
    laff

6. stilldoc

stilldoc New Member

You might try inserting adding a grab strip between the chainstay and tensioner bracket to prevent rotation without drilling a hole in the frame. It also allows for adjustment if necessary.

Alternatively, you can use an internal tooth washer. Here's a photo of both.

[​IMG]

7. TheE

TheE New Member

I just made my stock tensioner really, really tight. It doesn't shift at all.

8. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

If it is possible not to use the chain tensioner...I would not put it at all.

9. lazieboy

lazieboy New Member

If motor is twisting a little with torque may cause it to move, or out of round sprocket causing chain to get real tight might make it move. Thats what happened to me, all better now. I also put an extra nut on the end of tensioner bolt nut to keep it from coming loose.

10. lazieboy

lazieboy New Member

Put tensioner below chain pushing up on chain this is another thing i did to fix my issue with tensioner.