Motorized Rickshaw

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have not seen one here yet but it sounds like an interesting project. Please post some photos and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions and advice. Good luck.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
There are two here in Tucson and they look to be the very same model. One electric and one gas. I have photos but on my other PC but it is not working.:(

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wish you lived closer to me...That would be a fun project, no doubt.
Its crying for a 4 stroke, mounted/hidden somewhere under the seat. Centrifugal clutch and maybe a gear box. Is that disc brakes I see? Looks like small finned aluminum calipers...but maybe its just my eyesight. I'd like to offer some help but too many miles between us...in fact I don't even know where Kalifornistan is :)
Keep us posted. Looks like a fun project. Oddly, my three wheeler also was an $80.00 investment. http://motorbicycling.com/f44/2doors-titan-trike-13591.html Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Them differentials were used in older lawn tractors. And I have a Clumbia three wheeler that has one also. And you can buy them from northerntool.com or any gokart supplyer.
I think if it were mine I would cut the front tub that goes from the fork to the pedals and replace it with a pasthrough curved one and it would give you the room for a 4 stroke......Curt

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Them differentials were used in older lawn tractors. And I have a Clumbia three wheeler that has one also. And you can buy them from northerntool.com or any gokart supplyer.
Don't show me that! Even the sprocket they have is for #41 chain! laff

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The sprockets are bolted on so you could use any sprocket with a little modifying. #41 is the same as bike chain just wider

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Hey Millsy, neat trike conversion. They do handle pretty nice when sitting way back like that. I played around with a 3-speed trike years ago and had lots of fun with it. Was sorry I had to sell it when I moved.

This bike I have is an authentic rickshaw and is quite long. It stands up and leans on a rear frame bar for service and might be near 9 feet tall. I'm just under 6'4" (aka 192cm) and have long arms, but there's no way I could reach the handlebars when sitting on the rear seat! I've thought about converting it into a truck, but I don't want to devalue it if it's actually worth money in original condition.

I'm still researching this thing and trying to finish my 4-stroke build. Running into snag after snag on that, and I've already run into a fair share on the rickshaw just getting it rolling! Garrrr.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curtis just clued me in on this thread. Very cool. I love it! I want one. I think that would be so much fun giving people rides with a covered rickshaw. Awesome. I've already got my BB brain rolling this one around and I can see my 42 Schwinn "The World' with a trike conversion kit on the back and a rickshaw seat on it upholstered in leather and with an old baby buggy canopy on top that folds up and down. How cool would that be? I think I'd go with a pull start China Girl up front and some kind of gear set up in back. MM's 3 sprocket cluster if that turns out to work. Maybe a CVT unit. Something. There's room back under there. Might have to stretch the rear out on my Schwinn a bit. Thanks for sharing your build and wishing you very good luck with it. Anybody have a baby buggy top they want to part with? Ha!'
SB

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
hey Cactus, nice score! It does look like the same bucket as I have, minus speaker holes of course! Yours looks like it has a wider rear track too, but that might be a cam trick. Still, I bet yours has an inch at least. With the 24" wheels, that could be pretty fun.

I still haven't worked on mine yet. I rebuilt the 5-speed derailleur and the bike itself is a roller, but has no chains, shifter, or brakes yet. Let alone a motor lol

cactuscorner

Mar 18, 2011
Kailua Kona
The frame is pretty long and wide in the rear; just needs resto or go for the junkyard look.

Someone cut the speaker holes out on the passenger bucket. - P/O had a radio for cruising I guess cut a section underneath the bucket seat.

Ground clearance is about an inch with the 24" SkyWay Tuffs - only 100 sets were made of these - most vintage tuffs sell for up to $1000 a set.

The braking system is 150x1 Caliper (1000 psi) hydraulic and the previous manufacturer is Hurst/AirHeart - now just AirHeart. The pedicab is equipped with two caliper mounts on the rear frame to support two rear hydraulic disc brakes, but it had only one installed ever. Parts are still available on the website; the Original vintage Flying Wedge handle bars have 1 rear brake lever resevoir - I understand these can be rebuilt with the kit from Airheart.

I am guessing it is a 5 speed looking at the sprocket and rear cog. It has a Shimano rear derail. and left handlebar side mounted shift lever.

Researching the parts was half the battle to this project. Should not take much to get her rolling now that I found the braking manufacturer.

Aloha

PS Originally from San Clemente myself - moved to Kona - Hi 3 years ago.
Never seen pictures or more info on mine - its equipped with mostly BMX Parts - kinda unique

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Defo a really awesome project with nearly infinite options in both use & personalization! I particularly like the dedicated frame & drivetrain w/the deferential and heavy duty brake system - I'd be sorely tempted to keep the rickshaw body ofc, but also making a interchangeable cargo bed for those times I need a heavy hauler, while a sweet ride for just about anything, it's a dream come true for show & swap meets either way :D

I see yer a bit... "disgruntled" with yer cam lol, seriously - the pics are fine an' I'd love to see more of them, particularly if the soft top is intact enough to set up. Even if it's just the top bows, I'd really like to see what the roof looks like if ya have a mo. I tried to google, but there's such diversity that I couldn't find one quite like yours... I'm assuming it's like a 1/4 top - over just the passenger seat?

cactuscorner

Mar 18, 2011
Kailua Kona
If your looking at the BMX Rickshaw as I call it - it had no top ever installed - nor did it come with one on this equipment. More and more I like the idea of a cargo bed instead of the Pedicab bed - More my style - looking at a custom made diamond plate aluminum with wood made cargo hold - we will see later - soon getting the braking system ordered - thats the final piece of this project - ya need brakes! LOL aloha and mahalo for your posts. Pictures will keep coming

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Heh - yer right, I failed to specify which of these sweet rickshaws I was babblin' about... no matter, they're ALL awesome (^)