motor mounts and gas tanks

GoldenMotor.com

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
hi guys and girls i was reading in the forums earlier and was curious if a couple pieces of rubber under the universal mount would help with the vibration of the motor and does anyone do custom tanks for a bicycle ? would sooooo appreciate a answer on these!!!!!!!!!!!!!.shft..shft..shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us here and that you're asking for advice before making a big mistake.

Do not use any rubber or resilient material between the engine and the bike frame. This is a subject that has been discussed here many times. You want the engine mounted solidly to the frame. Rubber, or any soft material will NOT eliminate or reduce vibrations but in fact will amplify them.

Yes, motorcycles and cars use rubber mounts but the type of mount is not the same as most builders try with a motorized bicycle engine. They incorporate a rubber sandwich that is a different concept that putting rubber in the mounts of your bike engine.

Rubber in the mounts will only transfer the vibrations to the mount fasteners, which will eventually fail because they are taking all the stress. Mount the engine as it was designed to be mounted and forget any rubber in your mounts.

As for "custom tanks" many of us use motorcycle fuel tanks that have been adapted, modified, to work on a bike frame. What specifically are you looking at as far as a "custom tank"?

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

Tom

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Howdy and welcome to the forum.

It is not a good idea to use rubber for mounting the engine. Using rubber will actually increase the vibrations. The rubber will allow the engine to vibrate rather than insulate. It's best to mount the engine directly onto your frame. This will help absorb the vibration and dissipate them.

I don't know if somebody on the forum is doing custom tanks.

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
thank you guys for the reply this fast! as for the custom tank that is the question i still need to answer for myself i have a old school huffy beach cruiser im buying the motor for but thinking about taking it the way of an old indian bike or going the way of a custom chopper. ill post pictures when i can get a minute for it thank you guys again kris

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Also google "Ghetto Bikes" and "James Salsero" for another source of outstanding custom and in-frame tanks to order.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Been away for a little while. Who has the mount kits for 4 stroke motors for Point Beach bikes. Picked up another one @ a garage sale & have a Honda GTX 50 sitting around doing nothing. Never been started. I still have my 66cc on my first Point Beach, 3rd motor so far. Thanks for any help in advance.