Morini identification help

GoldenMotor.com

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yesterday I picked up a Morini mounted on a little mini-moto. It runs great but I'm not sure which engine it is. From the searching I've done I think it is an S5E but I remember that it has a number at the base of the cylinder 2909 which makes me think it might be the S6E although the photos online from the diagram appear different than mine. Are there hybrids/mixes out there? The engine is currently on an LEM LX2 apprx 2002. I'm working today so can't look at it until I get home... and I can't wait! I'm too excited about getting a Morini.

any info would be appreciated regarding how to identify. also, the carb mounts to the cylinder

thanks,

Chaz

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Oops, I forgot to ask what is the horsepower and max rpm of the S5E and could a reed block be fitted? Would that boost performance? There already is a tiny expansion chamber on it but I don't know if it is the best choice cor this engine, perhaps an aftermarket would be better?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
if no reed's 3 hp all day long put a gs top reeds and 19mm carb 7+ if you can keep the clutch alive
If you want to play with power can't do it with the two shoe clutch very well. Get a Stone Racing Clutch there built for that..

Yesterday I picked up a Morini mounted on a little mini-moto. It runs great but I'm not sure which engine it is. From the searching I've done I think it is an S5E but I remember that it has a number at the base of the cylinder 2909 which makes me think it might be the S6E although the photos online from the diagram appear different than mine. Are there hybrids/mixes out there? The engine is currently on an LEM LX2 apprx 2002. I'm working today so can't look at it until I get home... and I can't wait! I'm too excited about getting a Morini.

any info would be appreciated regarding how to identify. also, the carb mounts to the cylinder

thanks,

Chaz
It would prolly help to get a picture of your motor?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I haven't taken a photo yet but I'm pretty sure now that it's the S5E. I bought it without knowing too much about the details of knowledge about the different morinis but it is a good choice for my needs. It will be easier to mount than the M1 that was snatched from my grasping hands. Also, the M1 needed a new top end and the S5 is a running engine and ready to rip.

I don't really want to go any faster than 35 mph tops on a bicycle but I do love the sound of a two stroke winding out to 11 thousand or more! I'll mount it up and then worry about any tweaking.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
best way to identify engine is to scrape away the crud and reveal the number stamped on the engine: S5N

ta da! My first look at a Morini so I had no idea there would be a number on it, although I expected there to be one somewhere.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
the s-5's use a tappered clutch like a ktm but the starter teeth on the hub get in the way of the s-5 starter nut/gear. machine work is required and hopefully it will turn out ok. before i put the gs top end the 2 shoe gave me no problem's at all with the 3 hp s-5n hauling my 280 lb's around. it's when i up'ed the power the 2 shoe went south. as far as i know their is no id's on the motors.be side the s/n. the e has a cast iron barrow the n is alloy the t and gs are larger with reed's. good luck dennis

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
thanks dennis, I'm going to stay stock until I get it mounted and rolling. I'm only about 170 pounds so I should be alright and it makes sense to keep it simple. Does this engine run up to around 6000 rpm?
Mine has the number in raised letters on the case below the cylinder.

happy riding!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
under the motor fms5n. my alloy jug ch1 2. under the bottom fin fm2076 st159 these motors run great but new part's arn't around and finding a base gasket is hard and $$$ i have 3 motors in parts and i can't find a magnito nut anywhere for one. i found a gs top but can't find a head gasket o ring so i used a copper off a ''n'' if you need a part i might have one. my advice to you is run it and have fun but dont put money in it. i think morini is not long for this world and would buy a ktm/clone in that they are going to be around a little longer hopefully. or try to pick up a used lem mxer cheep and use that. a s6t air or s6c. water. a good s5 should last many miles in stock form but their too old to hotrod good luck dennis. oh my s5n went 31mph at grange up hill track with me on it or 3 teen age girls weight wise. if you take the l/s plastic cover off the mag says 10,000 rpm max.. you wont get their with a 'e' or 'n' model a gs will. then boom goes the clutch!

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Thanks Dennis, I'm all about leaving it stock now... except maybe the little expansion chamber that's on it. It kind of looks small to me but I'm no expert that's for sure. I got the engine on a little LEM LX2? I think. The bike isn't in front of me now but that sounds about right. Anyway it has the original chamber attached. I couldn't really feel the pipe come on but I've only been up and down the alley with it and felt a bit scary squatting on that teeny bike with the teeny tires so I never got up much speed. I'll get a better feel when I get it on my bike. It does go ring ding ding.

Also, according to your calculations, if I can get my weight down enough, I can fit myself and two teenage girls on the bike? ha ha ha

Chaz

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i aint going anywhere with that! good luck post pic's [if you go down far enough your see mine] and above all ride safe. dennis