Morini Clutch Fluid

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Ive read threads on the clutch fluid inside the housing. Whats everybody doing for that? Are you just running what came in it from the factory or are guys changing to a different oil?

Also anybody fabricated there own muffler completely from scratch? I think Im headed down that rode. Cant be too hard, just a few chambers, some perforated pipe and some packing (steel wool).

Thanks for a info.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Maxima MTL fluid motorcycle transmission lube 85 wt [been my personal experiment] its said all a guy really needs is about SAE 30 wt motor oil tho . I used the Maxima on the replacement three shoe grippa style clutch and now so far with the stock three shoe clutch that comes with the 9.4 S6S

It has worked perfectly for me! Been loving it.

Here is specs from Morini USA AGIP 2T, IP 2T, CASTROL 2T, CASTROL TTS
OIL CAPACITY ENGINE 0,17 Kg type SAE 20W

Morini Franco USA

AGIP 2T, IP 2T, CASTROL 2T, CASTROL TTS

Morini Franco USA

When I briefly ran my 2 shoe clutch it was smoother with that Belray.. I never tested it with the said Maxima

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Maxima MTL fluid motorcycle transmission lube 85 wt [been my personal experiment] its said all a guy really needs is about SAE 30 wt motor oil tho . I used the Maxima on the replacement three shoe grippa style clutch and now so far with the stock three shoe clutch that comes with the 9.4 S6S

It has worked perfectly for me! Been loving it.

Here is specs from Morini USA AGIP 2T, IP 2T, CASTROL 2T, CASTROL TTS

Morini Franco USA

AGIP 2T, IP 2T, CASTROL 2T, CASTROL TTS

Morini Franco USA

When I briefly ran my 2 shoe clutch it was smoother with that Belray.. I never tested it with the said Maxima

Goat herder to the rescue again (thanks buddy). Whats the best way to go about changing it, is it the screw on the clutch housing?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Goat herder to the rescue again (thanks buddy). Whats the best way to go about changing it, is it the screw on the clutch housing?
look at the clutch cover at the middle bottom is a phillips screw head there. Thats the drain. Don't loose the gasket too it. Should be a little gasket washer on the screw head. The first time I looked at that cover I stared at that screw!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
bel ray gear saver oil 80w here. awesome - ive tried a bunch of other ones but bel ray has the best feel.. cold or hot.
You are using a S6T with the two shoe. The Bel Ray works good with that clutch. Did you try the other oil with the two shoe clutch? I never did

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Belray 80W Gear Saver it is then. I've been a little paranoid about the 2 pad clutch in my S5 E but from testimony here it seems the Belray is the best choice.

Is there anything else I can do to make the 2 pad clutch last, besides luck? :p

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If I personally out right beat on the bike. I change it in about 4 hours of riding.. Some factors here are if its the hottest part of the summer? If I ride the machine with common sense not hotrodding it. I might stretch it to around 10 hours or more of service. That's just me and I am still using Maxima with the three shoe stone clutch.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Alright so anywhere from 4-10 hours of operation doesn't sound to bad... And out of the previous mentioned oils mentioned which will be the best.

Sorry for the dummy questions, just made an impulse buy on a bike with a Morini engine and don't know to much about them, any good places where I can find some good info?

Also I still need to identify my engine, still haven't figured out which model is it.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Alright so anywhere from 4-10 hours of operation doesn't sound to bad... And out of the previous mentioned oils mentioned which will be the best.

Sorry for the dummy questions, just made an impulse buy on a bike with a Morini engine and don't know to much about them, any good places where I can find some good info?

Also I still need to identify my engine, still haven't figured out which model is it.
The type on mine is on the bottom of the case. Another way is to compare the ones shown at Herdan's.

http://www.herdan.com/

There should be a section that shows older models, my freaking computer won't let me add an ActiveX thing :p so I can't see the full page.

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
wow i change mine not as frequently as you guys. I'd say every 13-20 hours of riding or even longer. I'd say riding every day 2-3 hours, I'd say once a month.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Every 4 hours? If that was the case with me on some days I would have to change it several times a day....
For a four hour oil change I would not have been even remotely nice to my bike. This is a 250/260 pound guy flat out trying to break his bike even carrying cargo to boot.. Trying adamantly to give it heat stroke. Keeps on ticking tho:)
The problem to me that I see for myself is I want my bevel washer stack to stay as clean as I can keep it. Rethinking what I said there are many times I went twenty hours.:p

On the two shoe model clutch there is nothing to build sediment up in..

I am sure there are a great many folks who are lighter in weight than me and that mebbe don't carry cargo like I do?

Here is what they say about the three shoe stone clutch here..

http://www.ktmamerica.com/clutch_article.htm they have recommendations here that I do and don't do. I do not do any where near as much maintenance.. . I don't take my clutch apart all that much mebbe two times in the life time of my first clutch..I have lately but I wanted to try many things to see what they all did again.. The wrong clutch oil can gum up those washers pretty quick found from MPE... I never have had a said sediment problem with my Maxima MTL..

I am sure there are many other oils out there..

Thing is folks they are recommending maintenance for top form competitive edge racing. I don't normally ride my machines in this manner. I mean I don't have 12 other bikes buzzing beside me on a track tackling difficult terrain.. Most times I just cruise it across town peacefully quietly with out beating the snot out of it. I consider my machine a primary means of transportation and average to two hours a day a lot.

I have enjoyed this machine immensely best money I have ever spent me personally

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The last time I changed mine was right after me and Alex's off road adventure to the border. That was about last year at this time. Since then I have had the willow springs race, A death Race, and three other races. And a few off-road rides and rides around town.

Can't really say how many hours that is? If I had to guess and I mean a very wild guess, I would say...30-40 hours since my last oil change? I really don't pay attention to how many hours or miles I run my Morini. I would not be surprised if its closer to 50-60 hours since my last gear oil change. Maybe I should pay more attention.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
how many car's on the road have never had the rear end oil changed? and never had a problem. and they say gear sheer is hardest on oil. i guess our oil's are a lot better than we think.