Mag Rims need help!!

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by 35oriano, May 22, 2009.

1. 35oriano

35oriano New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I just started on my first bike this past month. I got everything running and going well, then I decided to switch to mag rims. I figured I could attach the sprocket to the rim directly they look cool, and all that good stuff. I got the front tire mounted and then I went to put the rear one and I noticed that it is to wide to fit into my cruiser frame. If anyone attempted, and/ or succeeded please advise me on what to do.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    35oriano

2. Clotho

Clotho Member

I would like to help but without pictures, measurements etc. there is no way of knowing what the problem is and how it might be remedied. Which mag rims are you refering to? What type of bike? How wide is too wide?

3. Clotho

Clotho Member

Without being able to see your frame and wheel myself it is a bit of a guess. Still, 1 inch sounds doable with the right tools. (no guarantees, proceed at your own risk!) In the ideal situation you would try something like this: Frame spreader tool to separate the rear dropouts and make enough room for your new rim. You have to be careful not to spread them too much however as you will damage the frame. You don't necessarily have to order a tool for this specific task. a length of ready-rod, a handful of nuts and a couple of washers would do the trick too. Then there is always the brute force approach as well. A scissor jack between the dropouts could work too. Just be careful.

4. Finfan

Finfan New Member

BTW you now have 3 posts to your count. You should finally be able to post that picture!

5. 35oriano

35oriano New Member

Thanks, guys I actually used the scissor jack to spread apart the frame. It worked so I am in the clear for now till another problem arises.

Thanks

cvlt1

6. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

goodluck with your build,glad it worked out with your wheel.

7. 35oriano

35oriano New Member

Thanks for all the help. Here is a picture of my bike with the mags on.
    [​IMG]

brnot

8. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

looks real nice what tank is that.very cool looking

9. 35oriano

35oriano New Member

Thanks, My friend had an old moped he wasn't using so he gave it to me. The tunnel is pretty wide on it though there's like a 3/4" gap on the top tube of the bike though.

10. skjjoe

skjjoe Member

I used hot water pipe wrap to take up the space and dampen the vibration a little .Just wrap your top tube in it then put the tank on

11. 35oriano

35oriano New Member

I can ask my friend where he got the moped from and see if I can get more of the gas tanks. If anyone is interested.