Looking at bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Followed up today on an "old bike in a barn". It turned out to be a '60s Schwinn middleweight. Chrome poor, paint worse. The guy wanted $125 for it, I wished him luck and came home and got on the 'putor and started looking. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam. I need a bike that is rated XL. Looking for tradition look.
Where do you find manufacturer sizing on these bikes? I've found it on some high end mountain bikes, but the offshore stuff doesn't seam to have any.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's very rare to find any kind of sizing on older bikes. it wasn't really a factor in bike design back then. especially pre-war bikes. aside from a few racing bikes made, they were designed for an upright riding position (this is especially true on high-end bikes, pre-30's, as bicycling was thought of as an elitist activity) and people just weren't as tall back then.

there are a few companies, like Colson, that made larger frames in the 40's-50's, but it really wasn't until the 10 speed, racing bike boom in the 70's that companies started sizing bikes.

on most beach cruiser bikes, the only way to accomodate a taller rider is with longer, layback seatposts, taller goosenecks, and high rise bars. most cheap bikes are kinda a "one size fits most."

since i'm 5'7", i'm not exactly an expert on bigger bikes, but i'm sure some other freaks of nature... i mean... tall guys will chime in.;)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
since i'm 5'7", i'm not exactly an expert on bigger bikes, but i'm sure some other freaks of nature... i mean... tall guys will chime in.;)
i always felt kinda bummed that i'm only 5'8, then you go and type that and its all better :D

although i must admit i'd be much more intimidating if i was 8 inches taller :(

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm just kidding around, 'cause all the LA guys keep saying the only reason my bike goes so fast is because i'm short and skinny, so there's less weight and better aerodynamics...;)

honestly, i've always liked being short. never had a napoleon complex, and growing up skateboarding, biking, and pretty much everything else i've done, being short is an asset.

and i've seen giants back down from short guys. something about a 5' guy standing up to a 6'+ guy, makes them think he's gotta be a little crazy...

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
honestly, i've always liked being short. never had a napoleon complex, and growing up skateboarding, biking, and pretty much everything else i've done, being short is an asset.

and i've seen giants back down from short guys. something about a 5' guy standing up to a 6'+ guy, makes them think he's gotta be a little crazy...
it's never been particularly bad for me but there have been times where it would be nice to have been quite big.

iv'e had plenty of people back down from me once they saw i wasn't gonna put up with their crap, but it would be nice if they simply decided at a glance it wasn't worth messing with me and i could avoid a confrontation entirely, know what i mean?

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Now that we have established I represent a small cross section of the riding public by size, who makes bikes for me that are traditional in style (I must admit I think the felt bikes are nice looking), and big enough that I don't look like I'm riding a childrens bike. My GF is getting fed up with the hours I've spent looking.
Thanks
Mike

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You can adjust a motorized bike to your specs easier because you usually stand up to pedal start it and sitting low is not nearly as uncomfortable when you're not pedalling. I have real long legs and on a pedal bike, I like the seat and bars way high. But on my motorbikes low feels good. A traditional old Schwinn or other American bike with a layed back seatpost may be all you need. You may also be able to hook up with others in your area for test rides before you decide.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
It would be nice to try some out. Unfortunatly, I live in a retirement area. The only motorized two wheeler's around are 90mph scateboards and 3 mph electric scooters carrying a white hair with a oxi bottle.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
greybeard, i'm 6'1'' 270 my fat ass makes harley's look small, i've found dyno beach cruzers work for me. their 4'' longer than the others, rear drop outs and a shimino hub. i put on apes laid back seat post and the fit is great! also i have a dyno kustum kruzer streach that is my next project but they make lousey peddelers with the crank way up there. perfect for a ht. baird all the navy seals i've known are your size. big guys just don't fit in torpedo tubes! and they don't back down from nothing!