Looking at bikes. (Help?)

GoldenMotor.com

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
So I'm looking at bikes for sale and kits and such as some of you know mine was stolen from me a while ago. I came across this on craigslist and was wondering if it's worth looking at?
http://santamaria.craigslist.org/mcy/4668611808.html
It looks like he's got a 'straight pipe' and I've emailed him asking what sort of brakes, how many miles, what the seat situation is, and what the soda can looking thing at the back of the frame is. If I were to offer anything, I'd come in low, as I'm not sure of the quality of work, but I also haven't SEEN it yet

ALSO! I'm in the Santa Maria area and looking around for bikes, if you know of anything good nearby or that is willing to ship. let me know! I'm looking to do a really cheap build, I'd say $350-$400 absolute maximum.

Happy riding,

Beard

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
can't really tell much from a pic, but looks clean with some attention to detail

you should at least look at it if you like that style

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
Bearded War Machine,
I am in Santa Maria and have MB's ready to ride. I sent you a PM the other day you didn't answer. I also have new kit's and used bikes if you would rather build one. I like seeing the MB's on the roads here, so get ahold of me and we can make a deal and save you time and money if you like.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That is a cool looking bike for sale but I'd check it out really carefully before buying... make sure it starts easy and all, make sure it has good compression, and reasonable power... mainly it should have about the same power your last one did if it was stock.

Otherwise, you'll want to check the build quality and that it was installed properly etc.
Basically don't buy it without carefully checking it out and doing a test ride, and if the seller won't let you ride it first, don't buy it.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
also have him send you the frame serial number to make sure its not on the stolen bike list.
While not a guarantee that is wasn't stolen at least it shouldn't show up with your local police and the national data base as stolen as you could just be tossing out your money.
if he wont give you the number over the phone you know its not worth the trip.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
also have him send you the frame serial number to make sure its not on the stolen bike list.
While not a guarantee that is wasn't stolen at least it shouldn't show up with your local police and the national data base as stolen as you could just be tossing out your money.
if he wont give you the number over the phone you know its not worth the trip.
Very True... Especially if the price seems a lot lower than it should be...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Look for cracks around the rear frame especially the lower framestay. These bikes sometimes crack where the lower framestay attaches to the main bottom tube when motorized.
Looks rusty too. And that duct tape on the downtube is a bit scary...might be hiding something ugly

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
BWM,
I have 3 MB's that need someone to ride them. I think it would be good for you be able to see how frame styles handle. I have the 2 cruiser's and 1 mountain bike ready to ride.

There is hardly any traffic here since the bridge is closed to highway 1.

I hope you have luck finding a safe place to keep a MB of your own.

Let me know if you want to ride them and I will get them out for you.

If it's not asking to much maybe you could post some pictures for me while your at it. I'm on dialup and it's hard enough to even get online.

Thanks
Bob