Locked UP ???? Help

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
I have not had any luck getting the engine to start. I ride it down my street and pop the clutch. and nothing. The fuel line is open. I primed it. Choke half way. Then all of a sudden after about ten time doing this, over a couple of days the chain starts giving me problems. Popped off then I read adjusted the chain and tensioner. Then today the chain locked up. It will not move with the clutch in.

Help :-|| laff

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
So no I did not mix them ahead of time. What should I do next? Drain the gas and oil and try again. I will try to move the chain but it barely moves.

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
I drain the gas and oil and mixed it properly. I checked the chain and it is too loose, so it was bunched up. I took off the cover where the chain is housed and fixed it. But it appears that the chain is too loose. It gets bunched up. Do not know what to do.

????

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I drain the gas and oil and mixed it properly. I checked the chain and it is too loose, so it was bunched up. I took off the cover where the chain is housed and fixed it. But it appears that the chain is too loose. It gets bunched up. Do not know what to do.

????
Buzzfire,
Are you using the chain tensioner? You should be and that's how you adjust chain tension. The wheel/roller will need to be moved upward to tighten the chain. The kit supplied chains are almost always three or four inches too long for most bikes. You'll need to remove a few links. There are any number of posts on this forum dealing with chain and how to cut them. There are tools made to press out the pins in the rollers or you can grind off the ends of the pins and use a small punch and hammer to drive the pins out. When you install the master link make sure the closed in of the clip is facing forward on the top chain or the portion that is entering the motor. We could offer more help if you could post a photo of your bike and especially a good picture of your chain tensioner installation. Ideally you want about 1/2 to 3/4" play, or slack in the chain when installed. You measure that on the top chain with the bike moved forward until the chain sags. Less than a 1/2" is too tight, more than 3/4" and your chain is loose and can bunch up on the engine sprocket locking your rear wheel. Hope this helps you.
Tom

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
I have already removed around 5 links of chain. It seemed okay until I took it out and started pedaling. After about 10-15 times of pedaling(without it starting) it started to loosen. I have the chain tensioner on and I have already adjusted it. But it isn't working.
thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What isn't working? The chain binds up or the engine doesn't start? Is the engine and rear wheel tight so nothing is moving? If the engine isn't starting then start looking for, fuel flow, spark and choke position. Help us out and we can help you, Buzzfire. What have you tried and what did you find?
Tom

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
So there are two things going on. First the bike will not start. Second the chain appears to have gotten more loose.

I have cleared out the fuel lines I doubled checked the wiring according to what someone posted on here. It does not seem to be catching. I peddle down hill and pop the clutch. (prior to the chain problems) I hear the engine making noise so I keep peddling but it is not catching. I had primed and gave it half choke.

Now today the chain started to get loose.It popped off twice, And bunched up and this caused my engine to lock up. So I took off the case around the chain and was able to straighten out the chain. What next?
thanks

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
theres a screw on bottom of carb to drain it. turn petcock off first.

make sure engine mounts are not loose. tighten chain using tensioner,1/2"-1" slack at top of chain.

Last edited:

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
for the loose chain issue, make sure the chain adjuster and sprockets are fairly aligned and the bolt on the tension adjuster wheel needs to be tightened securely so the small wheel on it doesnt change position when riding. Also make sure there is no play at all with the engine mounts..

Last edited:

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
I have included a couple of pics of my bike. I went and adjusted the chain and the tensioner and they seem to be okay. I do not think you will be able to tell anything. Thing usually do not happen until I take it out and start peddling.

I can not seem to locate the screw on the bottom of the carb.

Attachments

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
The chain issue may be the fact that the tentioner is moving into the spokes and allowing the chain to come off the roller. we have seen that happen the alignment looks good and chain slack looks good. As for it not starting you are going to want to clean out the carb completely as the oil surely settled into the bowl and your not getting a fuel mixture into the combustion chamber.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Buzz,
It's a little hard to tell from the photos but it appears your chain is very tight. You want about 1/2 to 3/4" of slack in the top chain with the bike pushed forward against engine compression. Also check the alignment of the tensioner wheel with the chain. You might need to twist the bracket slightly to get it to line up with the chain path. Does the tensioner wheel roll easily, does it rotate when the chain passes over it? One very important thing you should do is secure the tensioner bracket to the frame so it can not loosen and rotate into the spokes. You can use a self tapping screw or drill through the bracket and frame and install a 10/32 screw/bolt with nut, but get the alignment right first. Everything else looks okay and I see no reason for the chain to come off except for the items mentioned above.
As for the engine not starting you still have not said if you've confirmed you have spark at the plug. I read where you said you checked the wiring but that doesn't mean the plug is firing. Please check this and make sure you have the proper fuel/oil mix and have cleaned the carb. It might be full of oil.
Tom

Buzzfire

Jul 26, 2009
Santa Cruz
Thanks guys for the feedback, I will work on cleaning out the carb if I can figure that out. Then I will move the tensioner away from the chain and little and secure the tensioner a little more. I will give it a go. You guys are awesome.