Left Hand Gear Shifter

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Kevron99, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

I am looking for Shimano Nexus or compatible gear shifter that can work through or via left hand. I am thinking of this grip Amazon.com: Shimano Nexus-Revoshifter SL-8S20 Right Shifter - 8spd Black: Sports & Outdoors. But I am not sure if this will work back wards towards installing in the left handle bar. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

NOTE: My Nexus hub is an 8 spreed inter 8 premium edition http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Inter-8...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1260738028&sr=1-4 that is also compatible to Nexus Alphine Amazon.com: Shimano Alfine SGS501 32h Disc brake 8-spd Internal hub Black.: Sports & Outdoors.

#1 Kevron99, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Nougat

Nougat New Member

For what it's worth, my cheap Schwinn grip shift works just fine reversed onto the left side of the bars.

3. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

Thanks I will search the web and see if it is compatible with Nexus hub.

4. scabz24

scabz24 New Member

if the nexus has a gripshift type shifter just reverse it to the left side it should work fine the numbers will be backwards though.

5. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

Thanks I will buy the shifter now...

6. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

7. Maxvision

Maxvision New Member

I did the same. It's a 7 speed shifter. Cut the handgrips back so I could still reach the clutch. Looks and works fine. C'ept sometimes when I forget to shift down and have my clutch pulled in. Gotta kinda grab it with my finger tips. I'll take a piccy tomorrow.

8. Technocyclist

Technocyclist Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist

Be careful in choosing your shifters for the Nexus hub. It can damage your hub if it's not compatible. I used a shifter for my Alfine and just reversed it on the left side.

9. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

There are several shifters for Premium Inter 8 and Alpine. Which one did you get and install at left handle bar? Both of these HUBS, premium inter 8 (the one with the red band) and Alpine are of similar design.

Thanks,
    Ron

10. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Any twist grip shifter like that should work fine on the left side!! (you'll just be reading it upside down)

11. Technocyclist

Technocyclist Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist

I got the Alfine RapidFire Shifter LD825, and yes, the numbers are upside down, and shift under the handle. I tried the twist shifter before, but sometimes, they shift themselves, when you grab the handle bars in sudden bumps...

12. Maxvision

Maxvision New Member

Here's a piccy of my 7 speed shifter on left side with handgrips cut back.

If you have problems with the shifter shifting when you grab the handlebars, take the shifter apart and bend the bent metal spring that causes the shifter to ratchet a little wider. That should stiffen it up more.

shifter.jpg

#12 Maxvision, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  13. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

Thanks for the Pics Maxxi. Do you think SRAM is compatible with Premium Nexus 8? I may have to research it on the web too...