Layback Seat Post

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Ever try to find a layback seat post in 13/16" for an old Schwinn? All I could find were 7/8" posts and they were too tall. I finally just built a couple. I would call it more of an offset seat post than a layback seat post. This gets the seat way back at the rear tire. I was worried that the flat bar extension piece would bend over time so I gave it a stiffening break. Time to road test it.

Attachments

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I put a layback post on my stretch cruiser. The post sat too high because of it's support bracket. I just cut the bottom weld of the support and put a rubber end cap on it. The support bracket sits on my frame and allows the post to drop REAL low.

craigslist.jpg

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Sweet cruiser, Maxvision. If my attempt starts to bend I may attach struts to the bottom rear of the seat frame and run the struts down to the frame upper chain stays. I was thinking I could use small shaft collars to clamp on the frame then weld the struts to the collars.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I make my own from 1" shaft stock. I turn it down in a lathe to 7/8" one one end about 7" long, heated and bent to the proper angle. It might be a little overkill but I've never bent one.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've been making layback seatposts out of recycled handlebars since the my BMX days in the late 70's.

you can get 2 to 4 out of them, depending on what kind of bars and what kind of bend you want.

this one's from some old Wald cruiser bars:

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey 2door and bairdco, nice seat post ideas and they look pretty strong. 13/16" tube is just a weird size. 7/8" is pretty standard in the BMX world, or at least it used to be.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, schwinn was good about that weird sizing thing. i dunno how many people bought new tires for their cruisers, only to find out they don't fit, 'cause schwinn had to be different and make up some funky size...

and good luck when your kickstand would break.

neicull

Sep 1, 2009
Norfolk, VA
Looks a lot like the ones we make. Board Track Seat Post | Ghent Cruisers ...

The 13/16" tube post size is common among a lot of vintage bikes. I'm making a custom 5/8" one for a guy (now that's a odd size)... 7/8" is common on bmx type bikes and 1"(25.4mm) is the most common size now-a-days for modern cruisers. Where the seat clamps to the tube is usually 7/8". I know brooks and most saddles are setup for the 7/8" tube clamp. Also, if you have a 7/8" you can always order a shim to make it larger, those are real cheap and easily available.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
neicull,
That's the finished look I was after on mine. I almost built it just like yours but was worried it would bend over time. Guess if your selling them you have not had any problems. Nice job.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
neicull,
That's the finished look I was after on mine. I almost built it just like yours but was worried it would bend over time. Guess if your selling them you have not had any problems. Nice job.

I agree..Ghents seat post are nice looking...I just got mine yesterday and I cannot take my eyes out of it...Thanks Ghents I am looking forward on your tanks.

Ron

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wow sweet. Where did you get the tank? Where could I buy it? Thanks
Don't want to bust this thread by getting off the topic but I am a bit proud of my tank. Made it from a stock tank with some fiberglass and insulating foam. Thumbnail attached with instructions how to do it.

Custom-shaped-tank.jpg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wait, is that a thing? Staying on topic? Again, I did not get a memo. Do we even attempt that here? LOL

(If we do, I am in for so much guff)