Jesse James faux tank build!

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by Fang, Aug 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Fang

Fang New Member

I picked up this faux tank that came off the west coast chopper Jesse James edition schwinn stingray
    Listed $40 on craigslist
    Managed to get it for $25
    So far It seems I will have to
    cut the welds and widen the rear of the tank since my frame goes from oval to wide circle half way down the top tube
    close up all the holes on the bottom
    weld on some gas outlets
    cut a hole for the filler cap (I plan on using an old school valve cover push in oil cap)
    seal the inside
    find a way to mount this thing!
    I have started sanding it briefly
    I plan on painting it flat black
    Any suggestions on mounting options?
    I would like to keep frame modifications out of it but I am willing to do it if necessary since the tank looks really good on my bike!

Attached Files:

2. Dogtown Burner

Dogtown Burner New Member

lotta work ahead, but looks cool for sure.

3. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

Nice score, been trying to win one on eBay for a while. They usually go for a lot more than 25

4. Fang

Fang New Member

Yeah I figured I should grab it since I see em on ebay for around 60 usually
    Got a 212cc project ahead of me so I think this will be a slow tank project haha

5. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

Bump....how did this turn out?

6. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Waste of time.....start from scratch. That tank doesn't look much better than a peanut tank. Be creative.

My 0.02 cents.

7. Fang

Fang New Member

I agree man it is way too short, as for a custom tank I dont think my skills are that great yet and I have very limited access to tools at the moment
    I plan on using a chopper tank for now and most likely a custom one in the future

8. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Even if this tank isn't what you're looking for you might take a close look at how it mounts. This is the tank I used on my Switchblade, last winter's project, and it fits the frame nicely.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWBROW-CUS...ies&hash=item20da943247&vxp=mtr#ht_1522wt_923

I modified the front mount, cut it off actually and repositioned it to get the right angle.

Just a suggestion. Here are some other options > http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_nkw=peanut+gas+tank&_vxp=mtr&_rdc=1

Tom

#8 2door, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  9. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I have one of these tanks laying out in the pile. Anybody interested? PM me with offers.

10. Fang

Fang New Member

Mine is also just laying around, If anyone is interested and in the San Diego area I'll be happy to give it to someone who will use it (it's pretty chopped up right now but salvageable)