Is this damage cause for concern?

GoldenMotor.com

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
I came from e-bike Land and decided to purchase a zeda 80 belt drive kit for a spare '90s mountain bike steel frame. The kit I received has quite a few jagged edges, one which has scratched the piston, then subsequently broke off completely. It feels pretty cheap but I'm sure a well maintained engine Will last thousands of miles. Will this affect performance in any way? Is this to be expected with all kits?
IMG_20230121_105603.jpg
IMG_20230121_111306.jpg

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I would contact the seller for a replacement... It's par for the course with these kits to be cleaned up from the casting flash and debris...

Reactions: Donnyten

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
I've contacted the seller to see if they can send a replacement cylinder and piston anyway since the kit is new. I did end up filing down the edges and it's much better. However the scratches on the piston catches my finger nail when I run my finger across it. Is this a problem?

Reactions: Larry Trotter

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
As long as the rings are ok then there really won’t be any issues at all. Do the install and run it, it’s easy to change the cylinder and piston later if it’s weighing on your mind.

2stroker412

Oct 31, 2022
I've contacted the seller to see if they can send a replacement cylinder and piston anyway since the kit is new. I did end up filing down the edges and it's much better. However the scratches on the piston catches my finger nail when I run my finger across it. Is this a problem?
Have you heard back from the seller?

Mossy

May 20, 2022
A Dremel with a stone and some oil around the ports and all the flash on the original... Or you can sand it with cloth wrapped around your finger but all the sharp junk needs to go... Then you'll have a spare... Flatten out the gasket surfaces... Rince the bottom end out with gas and filter the gas with a coffee filter repeat a few times see what comes out... Then squirt some 2 stroke oil in and around everything and a little on the seals rolling it around... Then put it back together

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've got a dinged up bottom end and a cylinder that's been kicked around with the sloppiest crank rod I've gotten and because it's made from floor sweepings probably run better than the nice ones

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
Interesting. I'm half way done with the build. Have y'all bothered registering these bikes with the state? It's been in the back of my mind as of late, but the entire process is a bit gray and confusing to me in the state of NC.