Is the spring chain tensioner any good

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Accessories' started by Lorenzo Guevara, May 30, 2019.

1. Lorenzo Guevara

Lorenzo Guevara New Member

One thing I've learnd is not to many bolt on are not just bolt on.most have to be fitted.
    So Im in the process of grinding down my petal arm so it doesn't hit the mounting bolts then have to take a link out of the chain. Hope it works good.

indian22 likes this.
  2. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

I've ran mine for over 5 years and lots of miles with zero issues. That being said, there's varying opinions on the usefulness of the spring tensioner. I try to have as little slack as possible in the chain anyway.

Best of luck in your decision. (I have the first unit ever sold by TurboBuick!)

indian22 and allen standley like this.
  3. allen standley

allen standley Well-Known Member

I always do my best to go without any type of chain Tensioner / Guide. I have used on 4 bikes over several years never a problem, and yes it is the TurboBuick model. We have since replaced the Mapbike cut roller with this 10 T sprocket.https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-34-81...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PDXF4A4PGPVFP9D5DEFK
    https://motorbicycling.com/media/1s...s-too-does-make-for-a-very-happy-chain.10746/ The idea is to guide your chain while removing excessive slack. The turboBuick tensioner should be modded with a stiff spring which will NOT allow bounce during de-acceleration.
    Several useful tips can be found concerning Happy chains in my "Happy Chains Album. Good Luck to you!

#3 allen standley, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    indian22 likes this.
  4. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

I like spring tensioners, build some, buy some typically they need some fitting and fiddling. I like to run them on both pedal and motor side and I also like a stiff compression and rebound. Multi speed pedal bikes use them quite successfully, work as well on motorized bikes and eliminates all the messing around adjusting two chains that wear and stretch at very different rates. Set the chain line straight and the tensioner runs smoother and quieter than with a fixed idler or just chains alone. If you are running a chain close to the tire and/or close to the chain stay a well placed tensioner of some type helps keep the chain from rubbing.

If you can't or won't install them correctly some spring or fixed tensioner/idlers will tear your spokes out, that's fact. Some don't like the look of tensioners. which is ok but also fact. I don't like half links and periodic chain adjustment...that's a fact and coupled with my previous observations, why I use tensioners. I'm also positive that others disagree & I'm happy for their enthusiasm!

Rick C.

allen standley likes this.
  5. allen standley

All good Rick, Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

indian22 likes this.
  6. indian22

Thanks Allen some of the best bike builds ever didn't use chain adjusters, some used well thought out motor mounts that allowed motor drive chain adjustment & axle drop plates that were a bit oversized in axle slot length for fine tuning the chains with axle adjusters. As I said fine builds. I hope my preferences, which I've stated, don't sound like I think everyone should follow my way of doing things. I don't. I personally am storing up a lot of good ideas from other builders, but most of these won't ever show up on any of my bikes, though they could because they are genius for certain builds. Three weeks and I'll turn 72 and each day I'm blessed with I hope to learn something new, interesting and useful. The posts on this forum is a great help in that quest.

Thanks to all, Rick C.

FOG and fasteddy like this.
  7. allen standley

Hey Rick! are you 72 yet?
    I'll be 59 on the 24th.

indian22 likes this.
  8. indian22

Allen 72 on June 23, at least we know our Dad's remembered to give our Mom's something for Christmas!

Best to you in the last year of your fitties.

Rick C.

9. allen standley

Thanks Rick, All throughout my life my best friends mentors have always been 10 or 15 years older than myself. Even today! Most are in good health except for the x smokers. None the less I wish you a happy healthy B-day my new friend.

indian22 likes this.
  10. indian22

The same to you my friend!

EZL likes this.
  11. EZL

EZL Well-Known Member

I came around in 1946 and in 1975 I quit counting since the time went so fast! :)

allen standley and indian22 like this.
  12. EZL

EZL Well-Known Member

If a fella runs 415 chain he needs a chain tensioner on the chain since it has a habit of stretching! :D

indian22 likes this.