Is it worth it

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by oylavabeer, Jun 13, 2011.

1. oylavabeer

oylavabeer New Member

With the cost of a new replacement engine it doesnt seem worth the effort of swaping crank shaft seals pistons etc. I only say this because thats what I recently did and the time I wasnt riding wasnt worth it. All that said I love tinkering.

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman New Member

If, can you afford the extra between a engine and the parts needed, then if you can the complete engine is the best option. Plus you will have spare parts on hand. I myself wouldn't rebuild the engine. I have had 1 engine tear up (not my fault, bad head gasket...piston, rings, cylinder) and I replaced it. I know that all I needed was the upper end, but should I have another go I have a case intact, no waiting on parts, low down time.

Prices are off Ebay... Most from BGF..which I wouldn't buy so much as a screw from them.

Engine..Case inc piston $67.00

Parts
    Piston w/rings $20.00
    Crank..$32.00
    Crank bgr (2) $10.00
    Gasket set.. $13.00
    Wrist pin brg..$13.00
    Seals.. (2)...$12.00
    Head gasket..$5.00 TTL $105.00 +/-

So NOT worth it at all.

#2 Al.Fisherman, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget New Member

Al.Fisherman,
    It sounds like you had a bad run in with BFG. I have done a little bussines with BGF with out any problems. Could you share your experiance with them?

4. DaveC

DaveC Member

The 66 cc kit I bought from them came with a defective motor. It flat would not start inspite of a fat blue spark and fuel flow. The replacement motor fired the first time....

Bought a 49 cc. It was dead, too. I gave up on the freaking Chinee motors and got a Morini.

5. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman New Member

This belongs in another post, I don't want to hijack this mans post.

6. oylavabeer

oylavabeer New Member

Thats what I was thinking Ron

7. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

its cheaper to just get a whole bottom end or whole top end and if you get it from gasbike you get free shipping.

8. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d New Member

Its good to have 2 engines. Ride the crap outta one till it breaks then put in the 2nd while you fix up the first. That way you will always have a back up ready to go and something to tinker with.