Is anyone missing this bike?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Nougat, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Nougat

Nougat New Member

This bike is for sale in the Chicago suburbs of IL, and I'm intending on buying it tomorrow. The guy's letting it go pretty cheap, and from the sound of it, he doesn't know how to get it started. He's also got a bunch of other small engine stuff he wants to unload in a hurry (weedwhacker, snowblower, chainsaws, etc) -- which makes me wonder if it might all be stolen.

He says he bought it in Michigan, that it ran last year, and when he had trouble with it, he "called the Schwinn store." But again, from talking to him, it's clear he doesn't know how to start it.

So I figured I'd post it here before I went to buy it tomorrow. If this is yours, get hold of me.

#1 Nougat, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

You can always run the serial numbers through the nation registry? I think..

3. Nougat

Nougat New Member

The odds that a bicycle serial number was recorded by the owner and reported to police, and then available to me, is slim to none. It's probably more likely that someone would see it here, I think.

4. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

And the Schwinn store would have told him what? Likely: "Take that $^$#@ off of there" or something similar. Does this mean I think he actually called a Schwinn store? Hardly.

My gut instinct (i.e. my opinion) is that I agree with you. This stuff's been stolen and he's desperate to unload it fast. I would be quite surprised to learn otherwise. If he truly knew anything about that MB he'd know you don't "call the Schwinn store".

5. Nougat

Nougat New Member

Well, I got it. I don't think it's stolen, it's just rough. The front motor mount studs are snapped off, the rear wheel is shot, the wiring is all wonky, the tank leaks. It's just a Walmart Schwinn coaster bike. Whoever put it together did a really crappy job.

On the good side, it's got compression, and the clutch works (although the arm is all wonky).

The guy just really doesn't know anything about them, but he's really interested in having a working one.

For a project, it's fine, especially for $50.

6. WildAlaskan

WildAlaskan New Member

50 dollars sweet wheres my crack dealer at

even up here thats a druggie or a drinker for sure he if he didnt steal it he got it from somebody who did

7. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I'm going to take pictures, and do a project photo album. I noticed after I got it home that one of the rear mount studs is broken, too. Someone wrapped a bunch of bailing wire around everything.

It's not worth more than $75 the way it sits now.

8. WildAlaskan

WildAlaskan New Member

well good find anyway even if the source is questionable you might just strip the frame for parts and try to get the engine running