Intake leak?

GoldenMotor.com

tbgeorge

Jul 19, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hi, I recently bought a 2 cycle 80cc motor kit and installed it on my bike, but now when I try to ride, when I pull the clutch in the engine rpm's go sky high!

Someone told me that it was an intake leak and to: "Remove the intake manifold where you bolted it to the engine, and replace the gasket with another." I'm a little confused where that is. Can someone please help me out?

I also had to solder some copper pipe to the pipe that connects the carburetor to make it fit outside of the bike frame. Could that be the cause of the supposed leak?

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The intake gasket is between the Jug and intake. Once you remove the intake you will see the gasket.

I'd spray some wd-40 or water around your intake and carb and a change in rpm will indicate where you have a vacuum leak.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I also had to solder some copper pipe to the pipe that connects the carburetor to make it fit outside of the bike frame. Could that be the cause of the supposed leak?
Ummmm since most intake manifolds (supplied in the kit) are made of aluminum, and not steel (but they can be bought), is your intake aluminum? If so, how did you solder the copper to it.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi, I recently bought a 2 cycle 80cc motor kit and installed it on my bike, but now when I try to ride, when I pull the clutch in the engine rpm's go sky high!

Someone told me that it was an intake leak and to: "Remove the intake manifold where you bolted it to the engine, and replace the gasket with another." I'm a little confused where that is. Can someone please help me out?

How did you seal the copper pipe to the carb?
That is probably where your leak is.

Does your carb slide over the copper pipe?
you can put an O ring in the carb to seal against
the pipe or use some kind of goop.

Ummmm since most intake manifolds (supplied in the kit) are made of aluminum, and not steel (but they can be bought), is your intake aluminum? If so, how did you solder the copper to it.
Ummmmm, A lot of the kits come with the steel intake.

Last edited:

tbgeorge

Jul 19, 2012
Dallas, TX
I used electrical solder and some flux. I think the intake is aluminum, not for sure though, and I used some rubberized tape to tighten the carb around the copper pipe.

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have the same problem that as soon as I disengage the clutch the revs go up a lot.

One problem I has was that the 4 connector pieces (very very bad design by the Chinese by the way!) broke of the carburetor and I had to come up with a self welded solution. The bike does run with it but I think that might be where my problem is.

How do all of you fix the carburetor to the manifold without breaking the flimsy connectors? And is there anyway to make the carburetor/manifold connector more airtight?

Will try to post some pics of my carburetor soon.

remichi

Apr 28, 2011
Netherlands
Here some pictures of my carb:http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/7759542500/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/7759539564/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michisunited/7759540912/in/photostream/

Will try to make myself a soda can air filter, seems worth the shot. See the other motorized bicycle forum post:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?4314-nothing-fancy-homemade-air-cleaner/page2

Will also try some gas resistant sealer, hope that fixes my carb/manifold connection.