I smell like gas...

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by jeffyh, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jeffyh

jeffyh New Member

Still breaking in the new build so I don't know if it's a tuning thing, but is smelling like gas a normal part of motor bicycling? I literally reek every time I get off the bike. Is there anything I could do to fight this?

Running 32:1 and the 2nd leanest setting on an NT carb. No fuel or exhaust leaks anywhere.

2. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

If you have no leaks then it's exhaust fumes from idling mostly. You could get a fancy poo poo pipe to take your exhaust out to the rear.

happy new year

3. sbest

sbest Member

Yeah, I'd guess your tank is leaking a spray of gas from the vibrations when you drive. The cap does not seal well and when filled to max, the vibes cause a spray of gas.

Try running with a half tank and see if it is better. I haven't figured out a fix for the cap yet.

Steve

#3 sbest, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Consider it a badge of courage. "I smell like a 2 stoke? Therefore I am."

I agree with Chaz. Extend the exhaust so it exits behind you. Noise and exhaust smell is left out back where it doesn't stick to you.

You might also want t make sure as sbest said, that you fuel tank isn't venting on you. You need to decide if the smell is exhaust, or raw fuel.

If all else fails, throw in an ounce of Castor Oil to your blend. Then you'll have that great 1960s Gokart racer aroma. "I love the smell of Castor in the morning. It smells like, victory"

Tom

#4 2door, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  5. jeffyh

jeffyh New Member

Just saw them on gasbike for $45. Are they significantly louder? I'm trying to keep things quiet.

Thanks, I'll look into it and if i find a fix, I'll let you know.

lol. I have a cycling jersey that says 'motor' across the front. Might as well wear that too.

How would you tell the difference between the two? If I had to guess, I'd say it smelled like raw fuel.

6. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

If you smell like you were out mowing lawns all say, then yeah, that's part of the game.

If you switch to an oil like opti2, which runs at 100:1, you won't smell like a gardener anymore.

7. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Also, the funky rubber that the grips are made from can leave you smelling....funky.

8. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

Jeffy, I don't have personal experience with the fancy poo poo, but Maczulu just posted a few days ago that it is quieter than the stock pipe.

It's okay to smell a bit like gasoline, the girls dig it! I use it for aftershave.

9. sbest

sbest Member

If the girls don't like the smell of gas, those ain't the type of girl you should be hanging around...

Steve

10. Chaz

Chaz Active Member

You nailed it, Steve.

11. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Today I rode my bike to Jury duty so I did not have to deal with parking. It was nice the bike rack was right by the door.

Two people did mention they smelled gasoline that was sitting close to me :oops:
    First time that has happen to me.

12. Cylon

Cylon Member

I have a few different expansion pipes and they are all louder then stock. Go to your local hardware store and get some copper piping that is a close match to the outer diameter of your stock exhaust output and drill then rivet the piping to it and run it beyond the rear sprocket. That's if your getting you gas smell from fumes, this will also cost you less then 5 dollars rather then wasting money on a whole new pipe that honestly really doesn't do anything.

If you don't want to do this check this out as an alternative,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...ash=item3f519e621c:g:i0UAAOSwLVZVxl84&vxp=mtr

13. sbest

sbest Member

#13 sbest, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  14. Tony01

Tony01 Active Member

Why not put a catalytic converter on it from a used car? You can probably pick one up for $1000

15. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Because then he'd smell like sulphur which is worse than gasoline :)

Tom

16. Cylon

Cylon Member

This looks awesome wish it was local. Wonder what chemicals they use to change the smell of oil? Detergent?

17. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

The cap on the tank does not seal sometimes, if you fill the tank completely a mist of fuel will vent and hit you below the belt!

18. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

Between the pinhole on my gas cap venting a bit, and those rubber grips (which I really should replace) and the under-helmet sweat, when I walk into the house after a long bike ride my wife sends me straight to the shower.
    She has never once discouraged me from riding, even after my one accident. But if I want to sleep in the same bed with her, I must erase any trace of bike stink. I can live with that rule; I'm usually in the mood for a shower at that point anyway.

19. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I smell just like I do after a bike ride when I use the snow blower. Maybe that's because I use the same fuel/oil. The difference is that riding the bikes is fun whereas blowing snow is hard work. Especially a heavy wet spring snow like we've been having.
    Where is summer?

Tom

20. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Snow blower? I've never seen one! Weed Wacker... Yea all the time, just about year round!