I need a new rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Hey guys,
My rear wheel being maybe 20+ years old has died on me. I should of regreased it but oh well.

I thought to transfer the sprocket over to my other mountain bike rear wheel but the center hub piece is too small for the metal sprocket. So I doubt that the rubber clamping method will keep it center.

Instead of buying a new mountain bike wheel which is apparently 60 bucks, I am just going to get a heavy duty one with a proper axle clamp. I was thinking this from piratecycles: http://www.piratecycles1.com/cbwhw12gasps.html

I then can't decide if I want a 44tooth or 40 tooth.. It's very mountenous/hilly and the 44tooth has been doin great but does slow down goin up. I just put on the new RT carburetor so maybe I could go 40 tooth... I'm not sure

Suggestions?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rocky,
I run 41T sprockets on all my bikes. I have hills too and have never had a problem. I'm a little south of you but the hills are probably just as steep.

As for the rag joint being too small; I'm not following that. Just as long as you get the sprocket centered on the rear hub, exactly concentric to it, the hub diameter has no bearing on the rag joint's ability to hold the sprocket centered.
Tom

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Maybe I've jumped the gun too soon. On the current wheel that broke, the hub and the hole in the sprocket were a perfect fit. I thought that this was the reason that I never had chain problems. Because the sprocket never moved since there was no room for it to move.

I'll go ahead and install the new sprocket assembly I have and give it a go.

btw, thatsdax RT carb makes a big difference in how the engine sounds. It is much less chain saw sounding now! Maybe that'll change when I go tune it though, not sure yet.

Last edited: