How would you suggest putting a motor on, or should I get a new bike

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bridanh, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bridanh

bridanh New Member

First Id like to say I'm completely new here, and only recently found out buying bike motor kits is possible.
    Ive got a bike with this style frame, and was wondering what your thoughts were on putting a motor on it, or if I should just get a new bike to make it easier.

Attached Files:

2. maurtis

maurtis New Member

Depends on what kind of motor setup you are looking for. A friction drive on the rear wheel would go on great. An in-frame mount would take a lot of work and would probably roast your chestnuts pretty good.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. I've moved your first post to the 'Introduce Yourself' Section.

Even a rack mount is going to take some fabrication skills; cutting, welding, drilling steel to mount an engine. It can be done. Just understand what you're getting into. There are other bikes that would lend themselves better to motorizing.
    Good luck.
    Tom

4. bridanh

bridanh New Member

Ive heard that people don't care for the friction drive bikes quite as much. Whats your opinion?

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

People in dry climates are happy with friction drive. Friction drive may limit the days available to ride in Michigan.
    They do make rack mounted, chain driven engine kits (Staton and Golden Eagle).
    That would probably work best for your suspension bike and climate.
    My advice is to get a steel framed mountain bike and mount a motor in the frame.
    It's a matter of your budget and personal preferences.